We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

dduke@mountaincable...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

Can anyone tell me how to get from Stratford Upon Avon to Bath either by bus or train. I have no idea how long this would take or what the costs might be so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,050 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

Train schedule www.nationalrail.co.uk Bus www.nationalexpress.com

Note were you have to make changes.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

I assume that you are needing to use public transport, in which case it is not an easy or cheap journey.

Before we go into the alternatives in detail, please could you advise...

- Roughly what day or date you want to make this journey;

- Is it for a day visit or are you going onto somewhere else after Stratford on the same day;

- Whether stopping overnight in Stratford is an option (in which case using the National Express coach from Bristol would probably be the easiest choice).

Once we have this info, we should be able to give you a more detailed reply.

Phil-the-Bus

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

In adduition to the public transport options - take a look at this web page which might also offer an alternative:

monumentaltours.co.uk/shakespeare_tour_2.html

Phil-the-Bus

dduke@mountaincable...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

Hello !

Thank you for getting back to me. Our plans are as follows:

1. 16th to the 20th of July 2011 - staying in London

2. 20th - taking the train to Tring (my mothers birthplace) which I did several years ago and I remember leaving from Euston Station

3. 21st - leaving Tring and trying to get to Stratford Upon Avon. Haven't a clue as to how to do this either by bus or train

4. 22nd - leaving Stratford and going to Bath for two nights

5. 24th - would need to get to Heathrow airport area . Flight not booked as of yet but it would be later on the Sunday or if need be, early Monday morning.

Hope this information helps. We are a Grammy (me) two daughters and two granddaughters traveling from Canada on this very special vacation. My family has never been there before but I did once stay in London for one week and found our way to Tring and back but that was the only place we visited outside of London. The main purpose of this trip is to see the birthplace of my Mom and trace our family roots in this little town. In that I have been to London and Tring before, they are kind of leaving the planning all up to me and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated in that at this point I don't know quite where to start .

Many thanks

Faye

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

Ok. The first thing that springs to mind is, have you thought of doing these places as day trips by train from London ?

- London - Tring = 40 minutes

- London - Stratford on Avon = 2 hours

- London - Bath = 90 minutes

This would avoid having to swap hotels with 5 people and to be honest, Tring-Stratford and Stratford-Bath are not easy journeys to make by coach or train with a lot of luggage in tow.

Alternatively, do Tring and Stratford as day trips, then use the train to get from London to Bath, stay there 2 nights and catch the National Express coach from there direct to Heathrow.

Hope this helps

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 8:34 am, September 05, 2010
dduke@mountaincable...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

You've sure given us lots to think about. Looks like we're going to need to rethink our whole itinerary. Thanks for all the great advice.

Faye

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

Hello

As usual, Mr Bus has made some very sensible suggestions. Are we right in assuming that none of you fancy renting a car?

With 5 of you travelling together between (potentially) Stratford u A and Bath, I wonder whether it would be worth spending a few hours (perhaps not that long!) researching a taxi/private guide to get you over to Bath via a day in the Cotswolds (or some other area vaguely en route that takes your fancy).

It might not be such a huge difference in cost.

Happy planning!

dduke@mountaincable...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

I think the challenge of driving on the opposite side of the street than what we are accustomed to here in Canada would be a disaster waiting to happen. I never thought of taxi's or private drivers though. How would i go about researching that?

Many thanks

dduke@mountaincable...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

We have decided that your advice is something that we're going to consider. We think we'll just go to each one of these destinations and return to London the next day. We're having trouble finding the rates for return trips either by bus or train at this early time and wondering if you could give us an rough estimate of what the costs might be so that we would have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks again

Faye

Edited: 11:36 am, September 05, 2010
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to Bath from Stratdord upon Avon

Hi again

In terms of travel pricing, I suggest you choose a mid-week date in November as your guide price and add 5%. Cheap tickets (they are called "Advance Tickets" and restrict you to a particular train) aren't released until 12 weeks before the travel date - hence the suggestion of mid-November. Like budget airlines, there are a limited number of the super-cheap tickets released for sale; once they are sold the ticket prices start rising (the cheapest single from London to Bath is £9.50 but it can easily rise to £50+).

If you wish to keep your journey times flexible you need to look at peak or off-peak tickets.

From memory the summer timetable comes into operation in mid-May.

Others will have their favourite train websites (there are lots of different train companies servicing the UK theses days so each has timetables for the country on their website), but the one offered by my local train co is pretty straightforward to operate: www.fgw.co.uk

As for costing up drivers/guides, I think that is worth a new post just in case somebody has used one recently.

Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon