We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one or two day trips from London

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one or two day trips from London

We are planning to be in London next June and want to go out and see some countryside. We are considering places like Bath and Stratford Upon Avon as well as the Cotswells. We won't have a car so we are considering either organized group tours or going on our own via train/bus. We are also thinking of staying overnight somewhere.

Anyone have any experience with travelling around without a car this way and any gems we shouldn't miss.

Ellaine

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one or two day trips from London

Try posting this on the london forum. Lots of people do day trips to all three of the areas you mentioned. There are tour companies that do all of these trips, or you can take the train to Bath. You can also take the train to Oxford and get trips to the Cotswolds from there. You can also use the search function to find similar posts.

How long will you be staying in England? That will make a difference on how many side trips to take. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!

Juli

2. Re: one or two day trips from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:16 am, October 31, 2015
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one or two day trips from London

Hi

One option you could consider is to overnight in Bath (but try to avoid a weekend when most places ask you to stay 2 nights) and do a day trip of the Cotswolds from there (see Mad Max for the standard tour).

Bath is 90 minutes from London (Paddington station) by train. Thre are a huge number of posts on the subject, but it is cheaper to buy your train tickets in advance and restrict yourself to specific timed trains to/from London. Such tickets are released 3 months in advnace (but you can get a vague idea of prices now by checking trains after Christmas). www.fgw.co.uk

It is best to post your queries on either the London or Bath forum (as we often don't have time to check elsewhere).

Toronto
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: one or two day trips from London

thank you for responding. I will look into the tours but I think I like the idea of doing it on our own so we aren't moved on before we are ready.

Toronto
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: one or two day trips from London

thanks for the link - it looks very promising

Toronto
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: one or two day trips from London

i will try those forums. I am totally new to the process and didn't know they were there.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: one or two day trips from London

First, you don't need to do a tour. Trains are great and fun. Check out a rail pass on line with Rick Steves or other dealers, otherwise buy point to point well in advance. Use "National Rail" for this.

Everyone does Bath and Stradford. If me, I would head up North to York. Durham, and even Edinburgh ( four hour train trip).

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
373 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one or two day trips from London

I also recommend you to avoid Bath and Stratford. They can get too touristy at times. There are so many more towns in England that are just as nice and convenient to get to- I could give you many ideas but it would take you months to visit them all !

For some ideas of places to stay why not look at the Youth Hostels Association website (www.yha.org.uk) . I suggest you consider Oxford, Salisbury or Cambridge as picturesque large towns within a short train ride of London - all have yha accommodation. Alternatively try the countryside between London and the south coast - very easy to get to by public transport and a good choice of hostels to stay in.

It is easy to travel around England by public transport - trains and buses are much better than they used to be - but you may find some local buses expensive. For cheap long distance coach travel try www.megabus.com

9. Re: one or two day trips from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 29, 2010