We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a one-way journey through eastcoast.co.uk from Durham Station to Newcastle Airport

It appears that a ticket from Durham (DHM) to Newcastle Airport (APN) is £7.20, while a ticket from Durham (DHM) to Newcastle (NCL) is £4.80.

The first ticket, when purchased, states that "Walk from Newcastle to Newcastle(Metro). Metro from Newcastle(Metro) to Newcastle Airport arriving by xx:xx".

It does not explicitly state that that a metro ticket will be included in the £7.20 ticket. Do anyone know if: (1) it is indeed included with the purchase, and (2) how will the Nexus metro system accept rail ticket print-outs?

Thank you :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

Hi cowfart (great name)

U may be corrected here but I don't believe one ticket will be valid for the combined journey. I think it is the train fare and metro fare added together

You will however be able to get the metro from central station to the airport there is no walk as such

New barriers on the metro are currently being installed and about to become operational but I doubt they accept train tickets as they would be for a different company entirely

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

Thanks for replying :)

I don't quite understand something though:

You stated that you "don't believe one ticket will be valid for the combined journey.", but you "think it is the train fare and metro fare added together".

Doesn't that contradict each other? If it's both the train and metro fare added together, doesn't that mean it's valid for both trips?

Unless, you're saying both tickets are virtually identical (except for the price), and only covers the part from Durham to Newcastle. Now that would be pretty wily of them to levy an extra charge for nothing extra, isn't it.

Sorry if I misunderstood, I'm unfamiliar with how things work here :)

Edited: 2:20 am, August 30, 2013
north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

I think the prices would work out the same whether you bought the combined ticket, or bought Durham to Newcastle railway station, then bought a metro ticket to the Airport - there won't be much in it at all.

If you do buy the combined ticket then if the barriers are in operation there will also be a Metro ticket inspector/helper there to assist you if the barrier doesn't accept your ticket. Sorry for all the "ifs" but they can't have barriers without someone to help you, or a help button to press

The Metro station at Newcastle Central station is along to the right of the main exit and down stairs - not far at all, and from the Metro at the airport its a few minutes walk up the ramp to the check in area.

Lou73

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,298 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

It's the same as with the London Tube - you can buy a ticket for the whole journey. If you can't get through the barrier at Newcastle Central Station Metro then they'll be someone from the Metro there to let you through.

I doubt BTW there's any saving except in time from buying the one ticket as opposed to a ticket to Newcastle, then a Metro ticket to the airport.

In short don't stress it and don't buy your train ticket in advance as there's no saving

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

Thank you for all your responses :D

Actually there is a slight saving - eastcoast.co.uk shows that it's £4.80 vs £7.20 (so it's a top-up of £2.40).

A nexus metro single (adult) over 3 zones costs £3.20.

£3.20 + £4.80 = £8 if I buy the metro and rail singles separately.

Not trying to make a fuss over 80p, but this is a route I'm going to have to take multiple times for the next three years, so I'm quite interested to know :D

Thanks!

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

Ah - I thought it would only be 2 zones, just looked myself and you are right, its 3 for that last stop! Also made me wonder if I could get from the coast in 2 zones then, but think I need to pop into the 3rd zone to change trains to the airport! They've got you every time! That 80p will go towards a cup of coffee in Greggs next to International arrivals - less than half the price of Starbucks! ;-)

Lou73

7. Re: Train from Durham to Newcastle Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 01, 2014