We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

Which Newcastle upon Tyne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

I'm leaving the day after tomorrow for 8 days in Newcastle. This will be my third time there. I've already seen the main things: Quayside walk and Millennium Bridge, Baltic Art Museum, science museum (didn't actually go in since it seemed aimed at kids), Discovery history museum, the castle, the St. Nicholas Cathedral, downtown shopping streets, a gallery of really nice, high quality artwork and handicrafts (Newcastle Arts Centre maybe?). What else is there to do that I haven't seen yet? I won't have a car, and don't have a lot of money for seeing things at night such as plays and concerts. I am willing to go further outside the city and hop on a bus or train for an hour or two if I can get somewhere interesting. I particularly like historical sites, museums, and natural scenery/parks/gardens, and I'm not really into pubs/bars/restaurants

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
807 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit,

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
319 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

You could get a train to Alnmouth and visit Alnwick (short bus ride), there is the lovely Alnwick garden, famous book shop etc and you could have tea at the Treehouse restaurant (my favourite!)

Also, you could see what is on at the Theatre Royal?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

I ended up going to the Beamish Museum of Living History. I walked to the Gatehead Interchange (bus & train station) and got on the 28 bus. Round trip was 5.5 pounds. After a 30 minute drive it dropped me off right at the front door of the Beamish Museum. With the bus ticket I was also able to get a 25% discount. Also, I could get a day pass instead of the annual pass like lots of people online said you had to get. So it was 13.3 pounds instead of 17.75. Spent 6 hours there (til closing at 5 p.m.). It was a big day for them with lots of events related to women's suffrage, and a larger than normal attendance. It was a fun day and interesting to see what life was like 100 - 200 years ago in the region. Thanks to Phil-the-bus for recommending it. In future visits I hope to see the other sites like Durham and Alnwick.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

Sounds like you are becoming a local! So many visits and seeing all our favourite places! Glad you have enjoyed your stays here and seen a lot of our top attractions! Where to next?

Lou73

yorkshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

pleased you went to beamish and got a reduced price with your bus ticket

the pirice is a bit steep without this offer

i remember going to beamish as a child with the school and loving it

went back a couple of years back and remebered if had not changed much apart from a few new exhibts

16. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, July 12, 2013
17. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, July 12, 2013
18. Re: 3rd visit. Seen the main sites - what now?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 14, 2014