We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Cowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Planning a trip to Newcastle at the end of this month (may) with my partner and would welcome tips, hints, ideas, suggestions and recommendations on what to do, where to go, what to see...we are not shoppers (well he isn't!) but would like to soak up the atmosphere and history of the city on Saturday. Also where would be best to eat and drink - relatively inexpensive and in a more traditional setting than a bright modern loud place full of 20year olds. We are staying near the airport so will use the Metro for transport in and out on the Saturday. Thanks one and all....:-)

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Hi

The Quayside is worth visiting to see the bridges Sage and the Baltic.You can take a river trip along the Tyne.

Also you are near Castle Keep part of the original walls of Newcastle.Plenty of places also for meals/drinks etc.

Let me know what type of food your after and I will reccomend somewhere for you

Mentioned in this post
The Quayside
The Quayside
2,525 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Cowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Thanks for the reply.......looking for something fairly reasonably priced and hearty as the Boyf likes a good plate full along the lines of good basic pub grub eg., steak, burger, roasted pork etc.,..not Italian or Indian or Chinese but happy to try Morrocan, Greek or similar......hope that narrows it down.....:-)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Hi,

Try the Redhouse for pie & mash.The Waterline for steaks/burgers.Both on the Quayside and both reasonably priced

Mentioned in this post
The Redhouse
The Redhouse
525 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
The Quayside
The Quayside
2,525 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,220 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

I recommend the Oak Lounge and Deli, followed by (or preceded by) a few drinks at the Brewdog bar across the road.

Cowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Thanks for the suggestions...will be looking out for these places...:-)

Cowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Thanks for your suggestions....am sure we will try one if not all of these places. am really looking forward to my 1st visit to Newcastle. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Newcastle
Level Contributor
2 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

You'll love Newcastle , there's so much to do & see & many lovely bars & restaraunts . You must visit the quayside , it's relaxed & just lovely . Enjoy drinks at The Eye On The Tyne right opposite the law courts building they also do nice pub food & if you get a nice window seat you can watch the world go by . Further down broad chair pop in to The Broad Chair & try the pub food there , delicious scotch eggs & unusual snacks & nice choice of beers . Get off metro at central station & you'll see signs for the quayside . I live in Newcastle & the quayside is my fav place . Enjoy your visit & I hope you bring nice weather with you x

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Cowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

Thanks for the information.......I've wanted to come up North to Newcastle eversince I dated a Geordie way back in the 70's....lol!! ;-) Really looking forward to seeing all the sights and soak up the atmosphere and even more to hearing the fantastic Geordie accent......with the places you've suggested I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time. Try my best to bring some sunshine but don't hold your breath!! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
9. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, July 12, 2013
10. Re: Tips on what to do in Newcastle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne