We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great North Run

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great North Run

Right, so I've booked a Stag Party to Newcastle for 14-16th Sept which is apparently the Great North Run Weekend & supposedly one of the busiest weekends in Newcastle.

Have I made a huge mistake here? Flights are paid for, accomodation is arranged so no worries there but will city be absolutely jampacked & will doormen be extra vigilant about any sign of trouble making?

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great North Run

I'd just consider myself lucky that I'd managed to get anything for that weekend - 54,000 runners plus their support take up a fair bit of space.

However few of them will be hitting the pubs & clubs until after the race so you shouldn't notice much difference.

Do note that the Central Motorway & some other roads in central Newcastle will be closed until the afternoon and that the Metro system will be extremely busy into the late afternoon so you might want to give some thought as to how you get from hotel to airport for the flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Great North Run

Cheers mate, yeah i kinda messed up here but luckily our accomodation also made an error & offered rooms to us before they realised the weekend that's in it.

They realised their mistake but fair play to them as it was their mistake they agreed to give us the rooms as per the original agreement.

Anyone else reading this topic, i'd recommend doing a bit of research before you book!! :)

North East England...
Level Contributor
16 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great North Run

My fiance had his 40th Birthday night out in the same night last year. It was no busier than normal, so I wouldn't worry. As previous message though. Many roads get closed off and public transport can be busier than usual

Newcastle
Level Contributor
628 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great North Run

you have done well with booking accommadation at a cheap rate, as nearer the time they will be asking stupid money, on the pub /bar scene it is the norm there may be a few extra in the bars around the metro stations travelling back from South Shields so you will enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
South Shields
South Shields
Tyne and Wear, UK
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Great North Run

Thanks to eceryone for your help! Roll on September!!!

6. Re: Great North Run

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 21, 2013