We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

Hello all:

I generally try not to start new threads, but I've pulled old posts and can't find what I need and (being that in 8 weeks from right now we'll be in England) I'm starting to panic.

I'm heading to Newcastle Upon Tyne w/my boyfriend, Friday Nov. 4 and Saturday Nov. 5. We'll going to the soccer/football match.

Is there any hope at all of finding clean, safe, *cheap*, en suite accommodations in the city centre? Every cheap option seems to be full up -- I don't know if that's because of the match or because of Guy Fawlkes night or both or what.

I was hoping to spend about 50GBP, b/c right now that's in line with about $100USD -- but I realize that if there's nothing left I'll probably have to go higher. And city centre is important b/c we have an early train to Manchester that Sunday morning.

We think we've pretty much lined up hotels/B&Bs within our budget for the rest of the trip (Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, Swindon, London. Tavistock for London based on British Airways holidays price and trip advisor reviews, a B&B for Oxford and Ibis for the others)

If anyone can help I'd be so grateful -- I'm starting to lose hope!

Thanks in advance,

Dreamingtree

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

hi dreamingtree

the cheapest hotels in newcastle city centre tend to be travel inn and holiday inn after that you are looking at a lot more expense.

the other idea you could try is staying in jesmond, although it is not newcastle city centre it is the next nearest and only 5 mins from city centtre and has lots of b and bs which are a lot cheaper than city centre hotels and you will stay be able to get in early enough for your early train.

a couple that spring to mind are

jesmond park hotel-0191 281 2821

grosvenor- 0191 281 0543

whites hotel-0191 2815126

grasham hotel-0191 281 6325

I honesty think this is your best option

NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

clairep23:

Thank you so much, I'll definitely check those out. If I had realized how tight the inventory for affordable rooms seems to be in Newcastle on that weekend, I'd have jumped on the Holiday Inn a lot sooner.

Neither of us are morning people but we're just going to have to bite the bullet and stay outside city centre and wake up really early the morning after the match!

I'm hoping the public transportation is easy/convenient enough to get around quickly. I'd also love to see the Angel of the North and we'll have limited time.

Thank you again!

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

Dreamingtree

glad i could help

jesmond is honestly literally only 5 mins from city centre and the metro system is pretty good but depending on what time you need to leave depends on if the metros are running but if you ask the hotel they should get you a reasonable good priced taxi.

angel of the north is quite out of your way esp if your on a tight schedule.

NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

Hi-

We'd need to catch a 9 a.m. Sunday train to Manchester, and we'll be going to the match (and we're not morning people at all -- hence the worry about catching the train ;-)

I know Angel of the North is out of the way - I've yet to investigate transportation options in detail, as that's been the boyfriend's job! But I'd love to see it. We'll be getting in from London in the evening on Friday (after a quick lunch stop/visiting an aquaintance in York), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can squeeze it in on Saturday morning before the game...

btw, has anyone stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel? I couldn't find any trip advisor reviews -- the Web site looked nice and the price is (almost) acceptable, and they have a room available but I try not to trust the Web sites if I can help it.

Thank you again! I was really starting to have a heart attack about where to sleep in Newcastle for those two nights.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

A friend visiting stayed at the grosvenor it is just a b and b but very clean and i remeber her room was very spacious.

9am isnt that early!!!! you could catch a metro around 8.15-8.30 and be there in plenty time it is only 3 stops but like i said a taxi should be very cheap.

NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Newcastle accommodation?

clairep23

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! As I just posted in the "fake reviews" thread, if I don't visit Trip Advisor each day the threads I follow get buried and I never see them again...

While 9 a.m. is normal for most of the rest of the world, in our world it is "early" ;-) I work at night and he does a lot of late night work too, so in our "real lives" we don't exactly keep normal business hours.

I'm glad you have some knowledge of the Grosvenor -- I booked with them just the other day, and clean is high on my priority list! The only thing that freaked me out is that they didn't require a credit card or other such info for the reservation. I'm going to call them to double check it sometime this week.

And I think we're going to be able to take a bus to Angel of the North -- if I'm going to the football game (his love, not necessarily mine) he can get up early and come do something that I want to!

Gosh, we're going to be in England 16 days and I feel like it's not nearly enough...

Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne