We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable Hotel

Which Newcastle upon Tyne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Mids
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suitable Hotel

Hello looking for a suitable hotel for me and a few friends.

We're coming up on APril 6th for 2 nights. Probably need around 5 rooms. Can you recommend anywhere cheap and cheerful??

Will be coming up to watch the football (sunderland) but no problems with driving to the game, just want somewhere suitable so we can walk out on the night and walk back.

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitable Hotel

At a weekend at this late date you have to take what's available if you want to be near the Quayside for the "fun & frolics".

Bearing that in mind the Newcastle (Millennium Bridge) Premier Travel Inn which will work out at £63 per room per night is the cheapest hotel I can find that still has availability.

Anything else - like the Hilton on the Gateshead side is about twice the price.

You could consider staying in Jesmond (do a search for recommendations) but that will require a taxi ride home after the festivities

West Mids
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitable Hotel

How long is the taxi ride and how much would it cost?

Could you tell me a little more about that place please.

Thankyou

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitable Hotel

You could also try the Travelodge which is near the quayside; the Premier Travel Inn on Bridge St is really well located for the city centre, or Jury's Inn and Holiday Inn Express are a short walk from the area near the station with lots of bars/clubs/restaurants; and not far either from the quayside probably a 20 minute walk or a short taxi ride.

Jesmond is great, lots and lots of bars on the Osborne Rd, try the Osborne hotel or the Caledonian. About a £5 taxi ride back from town, or a short Metro journey.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitable Hotel

a taxi ride from jesmond to newcastle or vice versa will cost you a fiver at the most less maybe!

i would def look at staying in jesmond will be musc cheaper than city centre hotels and most are still pretty decent mostly hotels with quite a few b and bs too

jesmond also has a main road of bars which attract a slighty upper class of people bu all shut at 11

a metro ride from jesmond into town is also only 2 or 3 stops so getiing there would be fine and like i said a taxi fare back will e fiver at most!!

need anything else just shout

SUNDERLAND,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitable Hotel

If you are coming to Sunderland for the match,why not stay in Sunderland? A lot more friendly than Newcastle (especially the girls!) There's a Travelodge (Central) right in the middle of all the action that has availability at £56 per room sleeping up to 3 adults. Step outside to a multitude of bars/clubs all within staggering distance-turn left for traditional cheerful places and right for more up market sophisticated ones. C'mon, give it ago -I know you will be pleasantly surprised. Parts of Newcastle are OK but the poor folk who live there are a little bit up there own backsides if you know what I mean and Jesmond is full of Hooray Henry student types.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitable Hotel

I beg to differ, Newcastle whether that be the Quayside or the Diamond Strip as it is now called (basically the bars where Apartment/Revolution are) is a great night out and far outweighs Sunderland. I have nothing against Sunderland at all, was there last week to the beautiful Empire theatre and had a good night but for a girls night out Newcastle wins hands down every time - I don't see Sunderland being anywhere near Newcastle on the best party cities list !!!!!

SUNDERLAND,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitable Hotel

re message from Warren -

see what I mean about Newcastle folk! Canny lads all, but deluded into thinking that they live in God's country,just like they think they are a big football club. Come to parochial old Sunderland and really enjoy yourselves without having to get a bus,taxi or train back to your hotel.If you don't, you will never know what you have missed

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitable Hotel

Parochial old Sunderland.

Very funny Brian. You dont have to be deluded or a geordie to know that Sunderland doesn't stand comparison to the Toon for a night out.

Unfortunately tilly as I live in Newcastle I dont have much experience of the hotels but Im sure you could find a good deal and if you want to save yourself a drive the metro system would take you straight to the Stadium of Light (restrained myself from giving you the geordie version of that but you could probably guess).

Some decent B&Bs in Jesmond too which is one stop on the metro or about a fiver in a taxi into town. Look for Osborne road, it has a few decent bars and restaurants itself.

Enjoy yourself and make sure you stuff the mackems too eh!!

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitable Hotel

Pablo you are soooo right in what you say about Newcastle being the superior city, and by the way Brian I am not into footie and have nothing against Sunderland at all, I think a woman is better judged to give an opinion on a girls night out!!!

Michelle

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitable Hotel

If you are making a straight choice in terms of Newcastle vs Sunderland, of course I'd say Newcastle.

But 'tilly122' has said they are going to watch the football in Sunderland, so it makes far more sense to stay there IMO. Yes, Sunderland isn't *quite* as good as Newcastle for a night out, but the fact that you can walk to and from the stadium for the match rather outweighs that IMO.

I'd stay in the travelodge in the centre of Sunderland.

Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne