We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to suffolk

Which Woodbridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
6 posts
Save Topic
Visit to suffolk

My BF and I will be visiting Suffolk in October. He was stationed at RAF Bentwaters in the late 80's and is eager to revisit the area. He said he remembers driving to ?Newberry to catch the closest London tube station. He wants too avoid the trains to Woodbridge and I think he'd like to fly into London, take the tube to a eastern station then rent a car and drive to woodbridge. I went to the website for the tube and found a Newberry Park station. He can't remember if that's the same as the station he went to 20yrs ago. Any good idea for getting out of London before we rent a car, ie where a likely tube station with car rental might be?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to suffolk

Wouldn't he be best flying into Stansted and hiring a car there, thus avoiding crossing London altogether?

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to suffolk

Why avoid the trains?

It's a relatively simple journey with just one change at Ipswich, or you could hire a car at Ipswich.

Ann Arbor, MI
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to suffolk

I looked into flying into stn and unfortunately there's nothing nonstop into it from the US, best I can do is 2 plus stops and quite a bit more cost. From the map I sure wish it was a option we could use, it's so much closer.

As for the trains I am not 100% sure what my BF's adversion is from, he lived in suffolk for 5 yrs while in the service and I think perhaps at the time maybe they weren't very reliable? He's pretty reasonable though. If locals tell me the train is a better option than I believe you and I'm sure I can change his mind. He knows his informaiton is 20 yrs out of date. I'll run the timetables!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to suffolk

I would hire a car from the airport myself. Hot competition keeps prices as low as anything in town, they're all connected to the motorway network, and most rental firms allow you to pick up at one London airport and drop off at another without one-way penalty - so if you wanted to tour around Bentwaters and then go into London for a few days without the car you could dump it at Stansted even if you'd picked it up at Heathrow

The trains to Woodbridge are OK, but I guess you'd still want to travel around when you got there so a car is the best bet

By the way, your BF may be interested to know that Bentwaters has been recently used for a number of TV productions - try googling "Space Cadets" and "Dog Borstal" for starters :-)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to suffolk

We visited the Twin Bases a couple of summers ago at the end of our 3 week holiday in England. Was stationed there in the early 70s. We did it in the opposite direction as you, turning in our car at Ipswich Station and took the train direct into Liverpool station. The train ride took slightly over an hour as I recall. There are several car rental companies just a one block walk from the Ipswich Station. From there it is an easy drive up to Woodbridge.

If your husband hasn't already discovered it, there is a terrific web site dedicated to the Bentwaters / Woodbridge bases. You can find it at http://twinbases.org.uk/

Not much left of the bases now. Woodbridge has pretty much been turned over to the developers. Bentwaters has a small Brittish Army presence, but most of the buildings from the American days of the bases are gone. There is a small museum that has opened up on the base and details about it are on the web site I referenced above. Hope you have a wonderful trip. My trip back memory lane was terrific and brought back many great memories of my three years in East Anglia.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to suffolk

I agree with pinpot. Hire the car at the airport. It'll be faster and less expensive than your other options. It's 110 miles from Gatwick to Woodbridge via the M23, M25 and A12. Figure about 2.5 hours, perhaps a little longer if there's a backup at Dartford Crossing.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to suffolk

The Only Newbury Park tube station that I am aware of is in a suburban area on the East London/Essex border, in the area of Ilford, Romford, Barkingside etc. There aren't any car rental places there as such, so I don't really think it could be the place you have in mind. The building of Newbury Park station, however IS worth a visit as it was built during the Festival of Britain in 1951 and won many awards for innovation and architecture in it's day.

Are you sure your husband is not getting ?Newberry mixed up with Newmarket?? A sizeable pleasant town in Suffolk, hub of the horse racing industry and in posession of a decent train station?

Newbury is south of London, in the lovely county of Hampshire, so I doubt that this is the place you want, either.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to suffolk

Sorry, it's very late here - It seems I have mixed up BF with husband, quel faux pas, I apologise!

9. Re: Visit to suffolk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Woodbridge