We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

races with ageing dad

Which Newmarket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
races with ageing dad

Hi, my dad loves the races but finds big crowds difficult. He is semi-mobile but can't really walk lots of stairs or too far to put his bet on whilst at the races. Do any of the race meets offer 'packages' where you are slightly segregated from the main crowd, or can anyone suggest a quieter meet that would be suitable?

17 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: races with ageing dad

When is your planned trip? are you planning it around a specific race meeting? We cant tell you where else there is racing without specific dates, but I would say, if your dad is into flat racing, Newmarket would be a real treat, it is more than just a race course, the whole town lives and breathes horses, there is the National Stud and the Museum of horse racing, In the morning string of horses come out of every driveway, and they have priority on the road.

I dont like flat racing, National Hunt is my passion, but I find Newmarket an experience.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: races with ageing dad

Have a look at this website: http://www.horseracing.co.uk/ it lists all the race courses in the UK, you might be able to find a suitable venue. The smaller courses usually have smaller crowds. Some of the courses have separate enclosures for wheelchair users, it would be worthwhile discussing your requirements with the course direct as they may be able to advise.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: races with ageing dad

agree with kev.

but you may find that smaller courses with smaller crowds may well have fewer facilities, and you will not find anywhere flatter than Newmarket!!

Get in touch with the course.

Perth
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: races with ageing dad

HI

Thanks so much very helpful, sometime in May is the aim to coincide with his birthday. Will check out the site and talk directly with the courses. Thanks again

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: races with ageing dad

If you go to a week day meet at any course, you will not find it as crowded as at week-ends, that might help a bit!

Otherwise depends on the course, really!

This is another website where you can find dates of meets that might fit with your visit. It is the site for the governing body of Racing - The British Horseracing Authority:

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/

Ask back once you have checked on fixtures, and will try to help with any knowlege I can muster about courses I have had the luck to visit!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: races with ageing dad

Hi, rowley mile racecourse grand stand does actually have lifts available for upper floors and if you have a blue badge you can park very close to the entrance door.

My other suggestion find a nice pub in Newmarket showing the races if you spend enough staying all day shouldn't be a problem although Newmarket does have a good range of shops to browse to.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: races with ageing dad

Newmarket have a few weekday meetings and these are quieter. Not the one in April, that is failry busy.

Newmarket is the best flat course in the country and it will be a nice treat for your dad.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: races with ageing dad

You don't specify a particular venue so I will add Windsor racecourse to the above very good suggestions.

Its a great location, and very accessible to all, I was on crutches following an operation last time I went there. The Monday evening meets are also themed and there are several during May.

windsor-racecourse.co.uk/the-races/fixtures.…

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: races with ageing dad

Are you aware that you have several courses on your doorstep there in Perth? Ayr, Kelso, Musselburgh, Hamilton and Perth itself.

If it's quality racing you're after you can't beat Newmarket but for a quieter experience you might be happier visiting the Scottish courses early in the week.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: races with ageing dad

You may like to consider York which has a very good 3 days of racing May 16-18th. As it's midweek, it will be less busy and only a very short walk from car park A (esp if blue Badge holder).

Newmarket is bigger inlayout and you can only see the horses in the last 3 furlongs apart from TV coverage; there's quite a bit of walking between the pre- parade, parade rings and the stands. York is far more compact and a County Stand badge gets you into the Ebor stand with lifts and good viewing. It's also closer to the city- good if you arrive by rail.

http://www.yorkracecourse.co.uk/

Reply to: races with ageing dad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newmarket
More Newmarket Topics