We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat near Aldeburgh

Which Aldeburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat near Aldeburgh

We are off to stay in a cottage near Aldeburgh for my hubby's 50th next weekend. We would like to eat fish & chips on the Friday, and anywhere along the coast up as far as Southwold on the Saturday. We'd love to have a traditional roast dinner on the Sunday, we are happy to eat in pubs or anywhere recommended.

7 replies to this topic
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

Lots of lovely places in this part of Suffolk where I'm from. From your post I am assuming you are arriving at your cottage on the Friday night so would like your fish and chips local? Fo that I'd recommend Aldeburgh Fish and Chips in the High Street -

www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk/restaurants/

There are a couple of nice places in Orford (south from Aldeburgh) which would be lovely for Saturday evening.

Butley Oysterage (mainly fish dishes)

butleyorfordoysterage.co.uk/restaurant.html

The Crown and Castle (this place also does a good Sunday lunch)

www.crownandcastle.co.uk

The Anchor at Walberswick is also nice.

www.anchoratwalberswick.com

If we are out and about we always go to Snape Maltings for tea and cakes (good for shopping too)

http://www.snapemaltings.co.uk/

Lastly I'd love to try British Larder but haven't been yet - the website is horribly fiddly but persevere and you'll get to see the sample menus etc. I keep reading good things about the place and it's high on my list when we are next down this way.

http://www.britishlardersuffolk.co.uk/

Have a lovely weekend.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I don't eat fish, and am in fact a very fussy eater. I have tried the Anchor before,but there was nothing I could eat really on the menu. That is why I prefer unpretentious places as I don't generally eat anything on a fancy menu.

We were heading for the Snape malting one day as we haven't been there before. So great suggestion. It also looks like one of their eateries will be able to accommodate me.

I'm still stuck for Sunday lunch. I prefer a carvery style eatery as I don't eat vegetables ! That's why I don't like to pay a lot in some places as I still go away hungry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

We stayed at Aldeburgh last weekend.

Had the best fish & chips I've tasted in years at the Golden Galleon Upper Deck restaurant.

Just posted a review on it under the restaurant section.

Funny thing with the posting above, the original poster clearly says that she would like to eat fish & chips, gets a very infomative reply, then declares that she does not actually eat fish. Then pretty much says that she does not like anything at all!!

Well, why ask the question in the first place? Now't stranger than folks!!

TX
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

Hmmm. I wondered the same thing, MBS01!

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

Didn't realise the Anchor was a pretentious place with a fancy menu. Certainly wasn't last time I ate there which was after the current owners moved in.

If you don't like the Anchor then try the Bell Inn in Walberswick or the Harbour Inn over the river in Southwold.

If at Snape I wouldn't bother with the Plough and Sail for food. Instead I would head up the street to the Crown

Also near Aldeburgh you could try the Dolphin Inn in Thorpeness

Though any of the places that Morgana mentioned would be just as ideal (apart from maybe the Butley Oysterage if you don't like fish)

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a great Sunday lunch that is child friendly in Aldeburgh or surrounding area. Thanks

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat near Aldeburgh

The plough & sail at nearby snape maltings or the Crown Inn at snape are both good restaurants. Check their websites for more info:

http://snape-crown.co.uk/

http://theploughandsailsnape.com/

Reply to: Where to eat near Aldeburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aldeburgh