We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheddar Gorge and Children

Ottawa
Level Contributor
128 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Cheddar Gorge and Children

Hello all. My family and I will be visiting from Canada in late August. We are thinking of making a stop at Cheddar Gorge to look at the caves. I am wondering if this would be a good trip for children aged 2 and 4, or if it would be too scary or arduous for them. Thoughts?

Haydock, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheddar Gorge and Children

I think the children would probably find it boring more than anything.

It isn't very strenuous, it's quite easy walking.

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheddar Gorge and Children

Hi ddleffers,

While the drive through the gorge is great the caves are not that exciting.

With a 2 and 4 year old why not try Wookey Hole Caves which is not that far from Chedder.I think you will find more to do there than Chedder.

Be warned though that both Chedder and Wookey caves can be a little scary in places

http://www.wookey.co.uk/welcome.htm

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheddar Gorge and Children

Hi there

Bear in mind though that Cheddar isn't just the Gorge - there are plenty of shops, pubs, restaurants and stuff for kids to do.

england
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheddar Gorge and Children

Like others I'd suggest your kids are a bit young to consider this one any sort of treat

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheddar Gorge and Children

A little young to appreciate the beauty of the caves. There is something called the Crystal Quest aimed at older children plus the museum where you can see Cheddar Man. Older kids would have fun running up Jacobs Ladder all 274 steps to the look out tower but 2 and 4 year olds would need a very tight hand!

Maybe a trip to Longleat? Safari Park, maze, children's adventure playground, pets corner, hippo lake/gorilla island, model train might be better?

6. Re: Cheddar Gorge and Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cheddar
More Cheddar Topics