We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

My husband, adult daughter and I are leaving Bath on Friday, August 8th, staying overnight in Windsor, and then leaving Saturday @1pm from Heathrow. We will be in Bath from Sunday, August 3rd. We plan to rent a car for 2 or 3 days while in Bath to sightsee outside of the city. I have checked trains to Windsor and we need to change 2X to get to Windsor. Would it be more practical to keep the car and drive to Windsor and turn it in there if possible instead of taking the train? I haven't looked at the rental car sites yet. We haven't booked our accommodation for the last night yet either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,541 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

Possibly, if your accomodation has free parking, but you may have to hand the car in at Heathrow rather than in Windsor. It therefore might be worth considering spending your last night in a hotel near the airport, as these are very close to Windsor and you would need to be there by 10 am anyway for a 1pm flight.

Phil-the-Bus

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

Please consider that if you have a car in Bath, you will pay to park it. Likewise, when you arrive in Windsor, you will need to pay to park. Even hotels that advertise "parking" usually charge--sometimes £20 a day if they are in/near the Castle.

Cab fare to Heathrow would be about £25 (and 20 minutes) from Windsor. Two less days to pay for rental/parking, and that much less hassle at the airport (all rental offices are off site). I would take the train.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

"if they are in/near the Castle."

===================

Oh, I'll never here the end of that--hotels "in" Windsor Castle. My bad! No, there aren't any--although there are several that are across the street. The MacDonald is very popular.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

It depends where you stay in Bath as to whether you will have to pay for parking a car. Some places have parking, even central B&Bs.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

Bath to Windsor isn't that horrendous unless you each have massive suitcases. You need to change to a local service at Reading (where there are escalators and lifts) to catch a train to Slough, where you can get in a lift to cross to other other side of the station to get a stopping train to Windsor.

If you are confident driving in the UK (or rather, you enjoy driving), I would check the price of extending the rental and make more of a "day" of the journey. Either take the opportunity to go along the A4 (maybe stop to see Lacock/Castle Combe/Avebury) or head further south over Salisbury Plain and drop in at Stonehenge.

Both are fairly pretty drives (unlike the motorway).

As RomanCitizen observed, there are plenty of hotels/B&B's in Bath that can provide on-site or on street parking and several people near the city centre rent out driveways.

For Windsor you can look at prices of most parking here:

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/windsor/

So I guess you need to do the maths. It could be that you only need to days for "out of Bath" daytrips.

Bedford, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

Thank you all. I think it is best if we take the train. We do have parking at our B&B in Bath. We plan to rent the car later in the week just to do a few day trips out of Bath. We will take a cab to the airport on Saturday morning.

7. Re: Bath to Windsor --Keep our rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 02, 2015