We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

I'll be visiting London for 5 days in Jan 2007, and want to dedicate one day to visit Bath and Stone Henge. i've heard from coworkers that there are day tours for this kinda visit. do u guys have any recommendations for any particular good tour companies? they all sound very similar when i'm doing my reserach online. i rather hear recommendations from u guys.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

tofutratra, Here are some of the many threads about day trips from London to Bath & Stonehenge. Personally, I would stay in Bath for a couple of days and take a day trip to Stonehenge and Salisbury.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186370-i379-k5363…

http://tinyurl.com/f4v6b

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k74057…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k73923…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

i would stay in Bath for at least a couple of days if my time in London allows it. i'm only gonna be in London for a total of 5 days, so i can only afford 1-day trip outta London. i looked at various day tours they offer, and i think i'm leaning towards the one visiting the Windsor Castle, Bath, and Stonehenge. i'm also leaning towards taking the tour offered by Astral Travel cuz the price is basically similar to the rest; however, Astral Travel does their tours in a much smaller mini-van, which the max load is no more than 16 people on board.

has anyone out there taken tours by Astral Travel? i know there are other threads on TA that mentioned it, but it wasn't quite detail enough. i wanna hear from ppl who personally have taken tours from Astral Travel... please help!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

My son & I did a 1 day tour of Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath last summer. It is a long and grueling itinerary to begin with. Windsor was nice and leisurely then we got stuck in a traffic jam on the motor way and spent 3.5 hours getting to Bath. Just about missed entry to Stonehenge. We went on Evan Evans which had a pick-up service near our hotel in Bloomsbury and our guide was delightful, knowledgeable and patient but the bus had no washroom so that was bad under the circumstances. They have trips to various places and I think the price was reasonable.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

My advice is to avoid this sort of day trip like the plague: I know you want to see as much as possible, but you spend so much time travelling you see nothing of everything. Also, being January you will not see very much whilst travelling as it will be dark most of the time - at time of year it gets light after 8 am and is dark by 5 pm. .

As a Bath resident I would normally recommend the city, but you need a full day here: if you do decide on Bath, try and use the train, it's more expensive but you get here in just over an hour and traffic accidents don't cause 3 hour delays, as mentioned above. Also the last train leaves reasonably late, if you get up early enough you should be able to get 12 hours here (the Roman Baths alone needs 2 hours to fully appreciate it). The weather could also cause problems with coach travel in January. And trains have loos ! (the john to you guys).

If you do want to do more than one place, why not try Windsor and Hampton Court, which should be do-able by train, they are quite close to one another and more important, close to London, so travel time is kept down.

I have been criticised elsewhere for telling people not to go to Stonehenge, but it's really only worth going there if you are on the way to somewhere else, i.e. if you hired a car to go to Bath, you could go via Stonehenge, but NOT on a day trip. Stonehenge sounds great, but it's just a pile of stones, when you get there it is a lot smaller than you hoped, and you aren't allowed closer than about 30 yards - when I was young you could still clamber all over it, but that stopped 25 years ago. There are more impressive pre-Christian sites in the UK, but they are best saved for a summer visit.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

As you only have 5 days it might be better to spend all of them in London but if Stonehenge and Bath as on a 'must see' itinerary then take an organised tour as it may work out cheaper than a train/bus combination and will certainly save you the bother of working out timetables and connections.

Every tour company running out of London (Evan Evans, Premium, Astral Travels, Golden) will offer tours that squeeze in Windsor Castle, Bath and Stonehenge and it caters to a market, those people who have little time in London but want to see numerous attractions outside the city in the shortest possible time i.e one day trip. These tours are very popular and I expect the 'cram it all in' style of tour will be around for along time to come (well as long as coach driver's working hours will permit it).

Tour companys also do trips at a leisurly pace as well. Most will offer a Bath tour with about an hour at Stonehenge on the way or on the way back. Browse the menu and pick the trip that suits you.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

As you only have 5 days it might be better to spend all of them in London but if Stonehenge and Bath as on a 'must see' itinerary then take an organised tour as it may work out cheaper than a train/bus combination and will certainly save you the bother of working out timetables and connections.

Every tour company running out of London (Evan Evans, Premium, Astral Travels, Golden) will offer tours that squeeze in Windsor Castle, Bath and Stonehenge and it caters to a market, those people who have little time in London but want to see numerous attractions outside the city in the shortest possible time i.e one day trip. These tours are very popular and I expect the 'cram it all in' style of tour will be around for along time to come (well as long as coach driver's working hours will permit it).

Tour companys also do trips at a leisurly pace as well. Most will offer a Bath tour with about an hour at Stonehenge on the way or on the way back. Browse the menu and pick the trip that suits you.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

Altogether now "advice, advice, so good I sent it twice".

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

henneth - I just assumed you worked for the civil service and needed to send it in triplicate!

Like Romancitizen, I am not a fan of Stonehenge, but I think that's more because I've been then too many times, and it's not like the attraction changes in all the years I've been going. Why do I go? Because it's the one place all my au pairs and overseas' guests have heard of, after London, and as it's only an hour down the road, yep, I go there a lot.

However, from general posts on here, most people do seem glad to have seen the stones, and though you can't touch them, you get close enough. It's not like you can only view them through binoculars or something. And one thing that DOES make it worth going - the cafe there does a mean rock cake. I mean, their rock cake ROCKS!!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1-Day Trip to Bath and Stone Henge

I just assumed you worked for the civil service and needed to send it in triplicate

LOL.