We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Free Walking Tour

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CO
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Free Walking Tour

Hello,

I was wondering how far a walk it is from the train to the Pump Room where the free walking tour begins? We can get a train that arrives at 10:00a.m. and I wanted to make sure that a 1/2 would be enough time to be there to take the tour.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

It takes about 7 minutes - see http://goo.gl/maps/Ynoc5 .

P-t-B

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

It's a walk I can do in 5 minutes. But whether the train actually arrives at 10am is more of a issue. Hopefully the part played by the railway company won't cause a mess up.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

These recent contributions might interest you

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k741…

olympicwanderings.com/free-walking-tours-rea…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,545 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

Although the Bath Guides are the Mayor of Bath's official volunteers and they do not accept tips or gratuities. They give the tours for free because they are proud of their city and want to be ambassadors for it.

CO
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

Thank you. I hope the train arrives on time too, since we are really looking forward to the free tour to start our day in Bath.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

We were in Bath around the same time - for the Festival. We took a free tour and it was fabulous! I was not expecting something so interesting and informative. Our guide was a retired engineer for the railroad (engineer, not locomotive engineer) and he was as fascinated by the way the city is constructed as were we. We got more from him that we would have ever gotten from a "standard" tour as he was able to go into depth on our questions. We learned about the hanging loos and the elevated roads and more, beyond the basic architectural info. I can only assume the other guides are interested in different things but, as it says above proud and passionate about their city. It was quite a walk. The next day we visited the Georgian house which was a perfect add on to what we had learned on the tour. There is an admission charge but we thought it was worth it.

Bath
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

Don't worry too much if your train is a little late. There are always several of the Mayor's guides on duty and most of them spend the first 15-20 minutes in the proximity of the Roman Baths / Abbey so it is usually quite easy to find a group to tag onto. Obviously check it is the official free tour as you do so to save any embarrassment later. Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there are any landmarks close to the beginning of the tour. I'm unsure where they meet. Thanks

Bath
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

Meeting place is in front of the Pump Rooms - to the right (as you look at it) of the entrance to the Roman Baths museum from the abbey church yard. Basically if you stand in front of the main door or the abbey and look in front of you it is forward and to your left. There is a black/gold sign with details of the walk times written up right where the guides meet.

CO
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Free Walking Tour

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses! We went to Bath in June, and the train and everything worked out perfectly. We had the most wonderful day and if I ever cross the pond again I will still in Bath for 3 days! We loved it so much!