We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

We are hopefully staying in the new Premier Inn on room only basis& we are looking for nice place for breakfast,also any nice Italian restaurants for dinner? We will be celebrating a birthday the day we arrive.

Are the shops open late on Friday evenings ?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Thursday night is the late shopping night pre-Xmas.

For brekky Boston Tea Party is just up the road towards town, in Kingsmead Sq. Make sure you get to the Roman Baths first thing (check the website for opening hours) as the Xmas market is outside, and the area can get very crowded.

Bath has plenty of nice restaurants, but a really good Italian we do not have (there are average Italian restaurants). For a group with young people you might try the Firehouse Rotisserie, very central, but you would need to book, not Italian but they do a nice pizza.

firehouserotisserie.co.uk/firehouse-rotisser…

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Thank you RomanCitizen,

I'm in a pickle here trying to sort everything out & see as much as we can,should have booked an extra day.

All going well we hope to be in Bath around 4.30ish on 13th Dec,once we are not jinxed given the date.Flight gets in to Bristol at 3pm.

As it will be dark at the stage,we are limited what we can do so I was thinking.We have a teenage girl who will want a little shopping,she has a time limit...will hit H&M or the likes. Our son will have to get to a model train shop & spend his hard earned pocket money ? I should check that there is one,the one I googled has closed down apparently.Then we will browse the Christmas market,I believe it closes at 7pm,but I'm open to correction.THEN,we will have to be fed & celebrate a birthday & RELAX before heading to bed assuming the hotel is finished & we have beds !!

Following morning,up early out by 8.30,this is where I'm bit bothered. We want to visit the Romans Baths under our own steam it will be a flying visit,Royal Crescent & Sally Lunns,probably omitting lots but we are under pressure.Forgot to put in Pulteney Bridge & The Abbey.

The idea is to be on the train back to Bristol around 1.30 ish to see the suspension bridge & then taking a tour of SS GB (there is a Christmas market there too apparently). We need to be back at the airport for 7pm.

I'm exhausted just reading back on it.

We have contemplated a hop on hop off bus tour but if what we want to see is in close proximity we might be quicker on foot.

If you can help me tweak this itinerary I'd really appreciate it & we are open to suggestions.

Thank you,

Mary

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Hi Mary,

For good italian restaurants, I can recommend three:

- Carluccio's is in Milsom Place, between Milsom Street and Broad Street in a pedestrianised precinct. Approaching from Milsom Street, you have to go down stairs into the courtyard on the Broad Street side of Milsom Place. Approaching from Broad Street it is at the ground level in the right hand courtyard of Milsom Place.

www.carluccios.com/restaurants/bath/map

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186370-…

- Jamie's Italian, which is upstairs in Milsom Place, close to Carluccio's (and they compete against each other - both with Deli's to entice the customer to buy produce to take home).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/bath

- Aqua, which is in Walcot Street (and my wife's favourite), a bohemian area of bath that is well worth visiting in its own right - just 10 minutes walk from The Podium (Waitrose) or the Cathedral.

http://aqua-restaurant.com/

All three are very busy at the weekends, so I recommend making a booking.

There are lots of other Italian restaurants, like Martini on George Street (which won the award for the best Italian in Bath at the Good Food Awards, but I haven't been there [yet]), The Real Italian Pizza Company on York Street (my grandaughter favourite Pizzeria), Soto Soto on North Parade near the Roman Baths, Joya on Grand Parade, Aió Sardinia on George Street, Nonna's on Gay Street and chains like Ask Italian on George Street, Strada in St. John's Place next to the Theatre Royal (in a beautiful Georgian building), and Pizza Express at 1 Barton Street, almost next door to Strada.

Plenty to choose from, but depends on your tastes, location, budget and preference - take you pick :-).

Enjoy!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

I forgot to mention, there are lots of cafe's, restaurants, pubs and hotels that serve breakfast - probably one or more in every shopping street in the City centre - just depends on which direction you are going in.

From the new Premier Inn, turn left to the Bath Brewhouse (recently opened) in James Street and they serve a good breakfast from 10am at the weekends, or turn right and walk along to Green Park Station, where the Green Park Brasserie does a Farmer's Market breakfast on Saturday's from 10am. If the market is on, there are also stall's that do a breakfast roll and coffee/tea.

http://thebathbrewhouse.com/food/

greenparkbrasserie.com/dining/…

Kingsmead Square is a five minute stroll from the Premier Inn, turning right on James Street, cross the road and turn left at the Bath Store (bathroom showroom). Here you will find several cafe's that serve breakfast, including the Jazz Cafe, open from 08:30 Mon-Sat at 1 Kingmead Street, and the Boston Tea Party at 19 Kingsmead Square, open from 7:30 Mon-Sat and 9am Sun.

http://www.bathjazzcafe.co.uk/all-about-us

www.bostonteaparty.co.uk/our_cafes/bath.php

The other side of the Cathedral, near Bath Market and the shopping arcades you will find Patisserie Valerie at 20 the High Street, which is one of my favourites and open from 9am-7pm 7 days a week.

www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/bath-cafe.aspx

You are never far from food and good ambience in Bath.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Lots of great restaurant advice,thank you. The teens will probably want Jamie Olivers.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Be sure to book Jamies Mary, use this...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/bath

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

I would drop the Suspension bridge from your itinerary and maybe even the SS great Britain. As you will be spending probably more than a third of your time travelling, train, taxi etc. even if you drive yourself with traffic you will waste an hour getting from Bath to Bristol another while trying to park. Then getting to the bridge as well and parking again…nightmare.

Personally i would chill out a little and enjoy Bath by not having to rush. see some stuff that's not on your plan, the beautiful architecture in between your hotel and the roman bath etc. Sit for a while with a coffee and watch Bath slide by. You could spend a week in Bath and still not see everything so kick back a bit and maybe go to Brizzle another time.

either way, have a nice time and welcome to Baff

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

Thank you all we have loads to choose from...

Skipping SS Great Britain & the Suspension Bridge in not an option.One of the teens is a male,he is not in to shopping so to be fair to everyone,the girls will have their shopping & my boy will visit Bristol. Time is not on our side to do everything but we do plan to visit in April/May for at least 2 days & concentrate solely on Bath.

9. Re: Nice place for breakfast & shopping hours ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 20, 2014