We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about booking train on-line

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about booking train on-line

I asked this question in another thread, but thought it would be better on it's own.

I am now ready to book train. I went to First Great West web site and selected my journey. There are lots of questions that I am unsure of!!

When it came to the screen to select seats for 2 of us, there was only one choice for aisle or window--not one of each. Have to select airline seat vs: table seat--any input on which is best?

Also--Since I am in the USA, it seems that I can only collect my ticket at the train station in Bath. Is this a problem paying now even though my trip isn't until the end of September? Also, don't have a chip/pin credit card, so need to make sure I won't need that at Bath station. I assume that since I pay ahead on line, they won't need the credit card again at the station--I will have it with me.

I'm hesitant to press OK and add my payment info before finding out all the answers.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

Hi

I suggest you have a read of a site like www.seat61.com to help you understand concepts like aisle and airline.

If you have a table, it will mean 4 seats - 2 pairs facing each other across a table. So you and your partner either sit side-by-side or facing each other.

If airline, you sit as you would in a flight - a pair of seats a few inches behind a simlar air of seats. Probably with a fold-down tray. They are all personal choices and none are "better" than others. Some people like one arrangement, others another.

The site should tell you what card you need to collect your tickets.

I don't think you will have a problem collecting your ticket, but why not direct these question to the train company?. And you can always speak to someone at Bath station if anything goes wrong.

Lowell...
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

We pre-booked five sets of rail tickets online for our recent trip and found the National Rail Enquiries site to be the best. It covers all of the many rail lines throughout the UK and sorts out which one, even mixing and matching lines for a change-trains trip.

Virtually every station has a machine at which, by entering the confirmation number and the credit/debit card you used to buy the tickets, you can print out the actual tickets, whether or not the trip is from that station.

Cautionary note: each trip will have multiple little tickets. You need them all on the train or at the ticket barrier.

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

Thanks everyone-- train tickets successfully purchased!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
152 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

I'm in America too and purchased tickets from Bath to London. I assumed that it was like Amtrak, you insert your credit card into a machine and it prints your ticket for you. I chose window seat, facing forward, no preference for table/airline. I did have a problem with my credit card company assuming fraud but several phone calls and online clicks later it was resolved.

Edited: 2:37 pm, August 22, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

You may find that without a chip-and-pin credit card you can't get your ticket out of the machine. This happened to me last year when I tried to get my preordered ticket out of a machine at Leeds station. Because my (non-UK) credit card wasn't chip-and-pin I just went to the live human being at the information desk, showed my credit card and the e-mailed confirmation, and she did the necessary for me.

Lowell...
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

I needed neither the chip nor the pin last week. I simply inserted and removed my regular American Master Card and then punched in the confirmation code.

7. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:11 pm, March 14, 2015
8. Re: Questions about booking train on-line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 12, 2014