We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

We haven't driven in the UK and would prefer to give big towns a miss but we would like to see Bath. Can anyone recommend a village outside bath with either a train or a bus into Bath?

If you think this would be too much of a hassle, please let us know.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

How many nights ?

Will you have a car ?

Do any of your party have mobility issues ?

florida
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

I don't know what your budget is, but we also dislike traffic and especially noise. A few years ago, we stayed at the marvelous Bath Priory Hotel, an easy and wonderful 20 min. stroll into the city center-- through a lovely park, past many other handsome parts of Bath, great views as one approaches. Perfectly quiet, no traffic, outstanding gardens, fine rooms and service. We had wanted to see Bath badly, but knew we wouldn't enjoy staying anywhere right in the city. We so enjoyed our time at the Priory-- and Bath itself-- that we're going back for 3 days post-cruise this September. Try not to miss Bath-- we found it a most wonderful little city, very easy to stroll in, a delight in every sense.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

I can't decide whether you "don't like traffic" if you are driving and/or you don't like busy/ bustling towns and cities.

There are plenty of country hotels and country pubs with rooms within a 30 minute drive of Bath. Rather than just restricting yourself to places on a train or bus route, you could drive to one of Bath's Park & Ride car parks on the outskirts of Bath and catch a shuttle bus in.

If you are set on using the train then you will have a much better choice if you were willing to drive to the station. You could come in from:

1) Chippenham ( to the east of Bath - Lacock and Castle Coombe are touristy villages nearby where you'll have no problem finding food)

2) Bradford on Avon - market town just south of Bath

3) Warminster (about 30 minutes away by train) not sure about staying in the town itself, but there are some really nice inns in nearby villages.

florida
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

jumping in here with question for suedunc:

Since we like Bath so much, should we try to see Bradford on Avon, or is it more or less redundant with Bath? Our driver from Southampton could certainly make a stop there before depositing us in Bath. (We'll be visiting Winchester as well-- did Salisbury last time-- and maybe one of the gardens: still not exactly sure what to see on our transfer from ship to hotel. Should we include Bradford?)

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

I thoroughly enjoyed bath by car. I drove in for 3 days and parked in the car parks - £12 for 24hrs. Sunday is free and you can find a spot if you get to Bath in the morning.

Depends how you like to spend really. There's minimal traffic on the weekend and it was nice to drive around the town (up-hill) and neighbouring lush countryside roads.

Australia
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

Thank you everyone. Most helpful and I will take all of your comments on board. Coming from Australia where we don't have park and ride I had forgotten what this meant. I like all of your suggestions and will sift through them to make a decision.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

Nancyflorida re Bradford on Avon. Is your driver from near(ish to) Bath or are they a Southampton firm?

A local driver should be fine making a last minute detour. I don't think you would be disappointed to spend an hour there having a quick explore and a cup of tea.

Have a quick look at B o A online. bradfordonavon.co.uk/WhatToDo/bradfordonavon… or another website. I wouldn't class it as. "Must-see" like some of the Cotswold towns/villages, but that is part of its charm.

There is a car park near the bridge through town and it is an easy walk to the tiny Saxon church. You might also like Peto Gardens at Iford Manor?

florida
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

Thanks suedunc. I think we'll try to take in Bradford on Avon. (Wish we could bike there from Bath, but I think we're probably too old for that kind of thing.)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

Nancy, it is flat all the way along the canal towpath. It is about 10 miles (each way !).

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Bath or outside - don't like traffic

Hi Nancy

There's now a place just off the canal on Bathwick Hill that will rent you an electric bicycle!

What is quite fun to do is to get the train out to Bradford (or the request stops of Freshford or Avoncliff) and walk back. If you feel less ambitious, it is also nice to get the tourist boats along the river to Bathampton and walk back along the canal through to Sydney Gardens or Widcombe.