We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Heathrow

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
12 posts
Save Topic
Bath to Heathrow

We (family of 4, including 2 children ages 10 & 13) will be staying in Bath for 1 night in mid-July 2013. We want to soak in the splendor of Bath but also want to visit some quaint villages. What do you think of this itinerary:

Wednesday

*11:00 arrive from London via train

*check in hotel

*spend day/evening touring Bath

Thursday

*08:00 check out hotel

*rent car, tour Lacock and Castle Combe

*13:00 return car

*14:10 catch National Express coach to Heathrow

*16:50 arrive Heathrow

*19:30 BA flight leaves

Questions:

1. Do you think that's enough time on Thursday morning to do a quick tour of both Lacock and Castle Combe from Bath? Or should we do the driving tour on the Wednesday when we arrive?

2. Cheaper alternatives to renting car to see Lacock and Castle Combe? I know there is the half-day tour of Stonehenge/Lacock by MadMax, but I don't particularly need to see Stonehenge, which is why I thought renting a car would suit our needs.

3. Is the timing feasible, once we arrive Heathrow? (considering check-in, security, etc.)

4. Where does the coach drop you off? Is it close to Terminal 5, within walking distance?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath to Heathrow

The 1410 bus from Bath does not call at terminal 5, but will drop you at the central bus station. The far side of the airport and not walkable. There's a free Heathrow Express connection or local buses - also free. Or the tube - not free unless you have Oyster cards left over.

Allow at least half an hour - the journey only takes a few minutes but isn't all that frequent

Edited: 2:14 pm, April 04, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath to Heathrow

I don't think the coach leaves you with sufficient wriggle-room if there are any road delays.

Also, it will drop you at Central Bus Station which is not handy for Terminal 5. You will need to use the free Heathrow Express train to Terminal 5 so you will need to allow up to 30 minutes for the transfer.

You might prefer to travel by train to Reading, then catch the Railair coach which runs every 20 minutes and WILL drop you off at Terminal 5. Aim to arrive at Heathrow at least one hour before your recommended check-in time.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath to Heathrow

If you are already renting a car, why don't you look into dropping it off at the airport?

You would probably get charged for dropping it in Bath from Heathrow, but I doubt it would be true the other way round.

Even if you did incur a charge, it might be cheaper than paying for four tickets from Bath to Heathrow.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath to Heathrow

Or hire a car from Heathrow and drive to Bath - this would give you the chance to do Avebury, Silbury Hill and Castle Combe/ Lacock on the way to Bath. Obviously the earlier you leave London the better.

Leaving Bath at 14:00 would allow 3.5 hours to drive to H'row drop off the car.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath to Heathrow

If you are already renting a car, why don't you look into dropping it off at the airport?

======

Exactly my thought, that will gain you back at least an hour, maybe two, and its much more convenient.

6. Re: Bath to Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 07, 2014