We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

I can't find a place to stay in Bath for myself, my daughter (18) and my niece (17) arriving Sat, July 15th for two nights. The B&Bs I've contacted have been full. We will be close to the end of a three week trip (via plane and train) from the US to London (4 nights), Edinburgh (4 nights), Dublin (4 nights), and Cardiff (3 nights) and on our way back to London. Due to the lousy exchange rate, I've had to book less expensive hotels in the four big cities to stay within a reasonable budget, but would love to stay at least once in a B&B and thought Bath would be the ideal place. In addition to Bath, we would love to see Avebury, Glastonbury, Stonehedge and Salisbury. Doing so without a car seems possible, but I'm concerned about our inability to secure lodging. Should I overcome my fear and rent a car for a day or two to cover this area? Can I manage the traffic and different regulations? If we have a car could we expect to find accomodations in one of the smaller local towns? Could we start in Bath and return the car in Swindon (for train to London or Oxford)? Is a car rental cost effective compared to tours (which seem expensive for the 3 of us)? Can I keep asking questions?

We plan to take the train back to London. Our flight home leaves the morning of July 19th, so at the least we need to spend our last night with easy access to Heathrow. How realistic is it to squeeze in Oxford on the 17th? I've heard Blenheim Palace is worth seeing. Thanks in advance. Our trip has come together thanks to lots of helpful advice from helpful folks on TA.

Mayor's Honorary Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mad Max Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Bizarre Bath
Sightseeing Tours
Around and About Bath
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

I see you're having to cut places out - suggest must-sees are the Roman Baths in Bath, Stonehenge and Avebury. Avebury has some lovely walks nearby, a good restaurant, and a pub with rooms just up the road (sorry I can't remember what it's called).

rome
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

Nola we are missing you on the Italy forum.

Torna presto!!!! lolx

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
713 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

I have just read you have booked Henrys. did you want to be bang in the middle of town? Henry just down the road from bars and club. and near the main taxi hut.If you come again, try The Tasburgh www.bathtasburgh.co.uk, it's excellent, and has gorgeous river side gardens to relax in, particualarly after the tour you are having! Enjoy Bath

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

Thanks allvox for the info about another potential place to stay. It looks lovely from their website. After contacting many places without success I was just glad to get a triple room at the Henry. Hopefully, it will work out well for us. I decided to stay a third night so we have three days to see Bath and hopefully Glastonbury and Avebury. We are going to try to manage without a car and hopefully will get a tour when we get there.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

For the record, to get to Avebury, you need to take the X72 bus to Devizes, or the train to Swindon, then take the 49 bus from either town to Avebury (it runs every hour but less frequently on Sundays and Public holidays).

However, if you want to visit lots of other places as well in a short space of time, then the Mad Max Tour is probably a more time-efficient option !

16. Re: Can't locate a room in Bath, should I rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bath