We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

We have 2 families with 3 children not older than 8. I am planning on our itinerary visiting Bath. We wish to use about ½ day in Bath by visiting there very early morning. Then we will be off to other villages near Stonehenge where we will stay 1 night. On next day, we have a morning to spend before we head back to Oxford to return car and take train. My questions are:

1) Can I visit Stonehenge in late afternoon, say 4p.m.? Or going it on the next day morning at 10am is better?

2) Which area is better for staying overnight? Amesbury, Durrington, Salisbury

3) I actually wish to stay at accommodation that has farm house. Which area would have more of this kind of accommodation?

4) If we should do Stonehenge on next day morning, then I have more choices to stay overnight. Is Wesbury or Warminster considerably good?

5) Is Cholderton Farm near Amesbury a good place for kids?

Thanks

dwcho

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

I see that you have been getting a lot of help on the other forums but I am now confused about what you proposed itinerary now is.

Am I correct that you are trying to do Oxford - Cotswolds - Bath - Stonehenge - Oxford in two days ?

The reason that I ask is because many of the farm stays in Wiltshire are in the area nearest Bath so it might be easier to do your trip Oxford - Stonehenge - Bath - overnight stop - Cotswolds - Oxford .

P-t-B

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

The reason I spit my questions into different forums is because ppl from forum seems to suggest I should separately post question to the forum where it should be and where experts could find them to answer.

Anyway, thanks for trying to understand my itinerary. You got it correct, I'm thinking of Oxford-Cotswold-Bath-Stonehenge-Oxford. I know this is ambitious, and that's the reason we hire car. So, we will cut short our visit at Oxford and Bath. In your opinion, which place we should spend more time, Oxford or Bath. Because I am thinking Cotswold is a big area and has some nice villages, therefore I would like to combine it with a place that I could spend relatively less time. My initial thought is Oxford + Cotswold, then Bath+ farm visit. For Stonehenge, it is not absolutely compulsory for us to enter into the park to spend an hour there. I mean we could pass by, drop off and take some photos. Base on your opinion and other tripadvisor here, they suggest Cotswold Farm Park, then perhaps I could do: Oxford+Stonehenge, Bath+ Cotswold farm and 1 village.

Please share your view.

Thanks.

Edited: 11:41 am, March 24, 2013
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

Is Stonehenge a "must"? Because the complex at Avebury - or, on a much smaller scale, the Rollrights - would fit nicely into your itinerary without involving a long detour south.

I suggest that you look at a map - Avebury lies just off the A4 between Bath and Marlborough, only a few miles west of Marlborough; the Rollrights are off the A44, between Chipping Norton and Moreton-in-Marsh, a route you may take on leaving Oxford for the Cotswolds - a circular tour might run Oxford - Rollrights - Cotswolds - Bath - Avebury - Marlborough - Oxford with additions in between as desired.

See also:-

www.rollrightstones.co.uk

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury

www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk - not on your list of "must-sees" but you may well be passing some.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

pausilypon:

Is Stonehenge a "must"? I hardly can answer it. As first time visitor to UK, if I don't go there seems missing something that is "must not miss". Personally, I personally think there're numerous places in UK where there're big stones found, am I right? So to me, I'm fine with getting it off my list, but for my children and for another family we will be going together, I am not dare to miss it. You know, it could be something very "big" for children to share at school and with their friends. Initially we thought it is a place that's just part of the way between Bath and Oxford.

For the time being, I would say "yes".

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

Save this Post 4. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

today, 19:06

pausilypon:

"Is Stonehenge a "must"? I hardly can answer it. As first time visitor to UK, if I don't go there seems missing something that is "must not miss". Personally, I personally think there're numerous places in UK where there're big stones found, am I right?"

Yes, dwcho, you are correct in stating that there are other ancient stone formations in the U.K. - both the Rollrights and Avebury are conveniently situated within the area that you hope to visit, Stonehenge involves a detour - which you may, or may not, consider worth the extra time and driving miles.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

pausilypon:

Thanks for your advice. I looked into Averbury, it does appear to me it would be fun for us, it has manor house, green field park, and best of all is getting to see ancient rocks is totally free! Right? I am amazed. Is Stonehenge more famous due to rocks are more gigantic, and the line up structure of the rocks was particularly meaningful (has something to do with determining date and time in ancient time? )

Anyway, now I am thinking of going there after visiting Bath, then stay at farmhouse or a b&b in Marlborough area. Sounds okay?

Thanks again.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

pausilypon:

Thanks for your advice. I looked into Averbury, it does appear to me it would be fun for us, it has manor house, green field park, and best of all is getting to see ancient rocks is totally free! Right? I am amazed. Is Stonehenge more famous due to rocks are more gigantic, and the line up structure of the rocks was particularly meaningful (has something to do with determining date and time in ancient time? )

Anyway, now I am thinking of going there after visiting Bath, then stay at farmhouse or a b&b in Marlborough area. Sounds okay?

Thanks again.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

Sounds okay, dwcho!

While Stonehenge is the iconic stone circle, with worked stones, there is rather more to engage the children's interest at Avebury and a visit there en route from Bath to Marlborough would save a long drive.

After leaving Bath, get on to the A4 (east) ..... once through Calne, get the children to look up to the right to see the Cherhill White Horse, one of the easiest to spot ..... at the Beckhampton roundabout, go left (north) for Avebury (signposted) and the car park is little more than a mile up this road, on the left. There is a fee for using this car park (£5 when I last used it) but there is nowhere else to park - and entrance to the entire Avebury complex is free. Use the footpath at the back of the car park to gain access to the village and other segments of the circle. Avebury Manor, National Trust cafe and shop, museum and public toilets are all tucked in behind the main street and well signposted - you may like to take your own food and drink and picnic amongst the stones. Look at Google satellite pictures to get an idea of the layout.

On leaving, drive back down to the roundabout and rejoin the A4 east - less than a mile further on is Silbury Hill, there is a small (free) car park and picnic tables and it is worth a few minutes of your time. It is an enigmatic, man-made structure - climbing it is forbidden. Marlborough is about 7 miles further on.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

I suggest that you read the Reviews here on T.A. about Avebury Manor and the ancient site:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186413-Activi…

Leaving Marlborough for Oxford there is a choice of routes, depending on the time available - the most scenic runs over the Lambourn Downs (lots of grazing horses) and through the Vale of White Horse (detour to see the Uffington White Horse possible); faster options are the A4 to Hungerford then the A 338 north OR the A4 to Newbury then the A34 to Oxford.

Edited: 10:38 am, March 25, 2013
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 .5 Day Plan for Bath and Stonehenge

pausilypon:

I am not aware until now, that you're expert for Avebury, no wonder you're so familiar with this area. Thanks for your comments and the link. Will have a look on the route you suggested. Hope GPS will show all these routes. How many hours do you think I should allow ourselves to stay in this area? Thanks again.