We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Bath?

Thousand Oaks...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Bath?

My adult son and I are going to Bath, England, in August 16 and 17. We are planning to see Bath on Aug. 16 and then take a tour to see Stonehenge on the 17th. Please recommend a reasonable hotel or hostel (about $100 US or less per day) to stay in Bath that is central and we can get picked up for tours. I was told that the YMCA in Bath is reasonable and Ok, does anyone know if it is a good place or is there somewhere else that is better?

Also, any good tour group to take us to Stonehenge and nearby?

Thank you.

Angela

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Bath?

Hello Angela...try Madmax tours - they were fantastic.

My family of 4 booked a full day tour and they were great. Check out my review for more details. As well their website is www.madmaxtours.co.uk/

Cheers

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Bath?

Bath is such a small city that you are (normally) expected to walk 5-10 minutes to a tour pick-up point. This is normally within spitting distance of Bath Abbey.

I have never stayed at the YMCA, but have used their meeting rooms a few years ago. Obviously check reviews but I would comment that, every time I went there for a meeting, there seemed to be a group of teenagers (usually sports teams) staying there. Aside from this, it is very central (some rooms will overlook busy roads, others courtyards) and, occasionally, Bath might have temperatures loitering in the 80's (so you might need to be heavy sleepers if you want the windows open).

The dates you are suggesting are in the middle of the school holidays, so the "price according to demand" hotels might have already sold out of the cheap room allocations. There are 2 Travelodges and a Holiday Inn Express within an easy walk of the city centre. Also do a search at www.visitbath.co.uk to see if there are any B&B's with availability in your price bracket. Further out of Bath, but on a very regular bus route, is the Bath Youth Hostel.

Somewhere further out of the city would be my choice for August.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,321 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Bath?

Is that $100 each or for the two of you ?

4. Re: Where to stay in Bath?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 02, 2014