We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

ok - so im gonna rent the car and drive on saturday morning to stonehenge for the 8am touching...

i understand the ride is about 75 mins each way -- that means i have about 3 hrs more with the car after that...

any ideas on where i can drive? i assume the cotswalds are too far away

but what else might be a good ride?

thanks!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

You could go back to Bath via Salisbury, Glastonbury and Wells, although this wouldn't really give you much time to explore. Cotswolds is in the opposite direction, so not practical this time.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

Return to Bath via Frome - an historic little town that could have rivalled Bath - and has some interesting listed biuldings...

the Tourist Information Centre is in a restored wool-drying tower by the main car park - with lots of 'walks' and 'walking tour' leaflets. There's a nice little restaurant for lunch/tea in Cheap Street ...

" Mentioned in the Domesday book for its market, Frome was built on the Woollen industry (like the Cotswolds). The River Frome once supported about 200 mills and the necessary products were obtained locally (wool, teasels, fullers earth, woad etc.). As the industry declined, iron foundries and printing took its place. The town has many listed buildings. The Market Cross stands in a bas which was the fountain once used for washing fish, today filled with flowers." Photographic Memories of Britain - Somerset (Frith book co.) Its bridge was buit in 1667 contemporary with Bath's Pulteney bridge - and also has shops along it on one side. Cheap Street is part of the medieval street pattern, with a spring running down a channel in its centre. St John's church has an unusual Via Crucis on one side. Gentle Street is cobbled, with 16th century houses. 17th century Catherine Hill.

Rook Lane Chapel, Bath Street - grade 1 listed building - built in 1707, recently restored, with one of the most beautiful facades in Somerset

Sheppard's Barton - preserved street of 18th century artisans cottages

There's theatres, sports centre, markets, evening entertainments, Black Swan Arts suite with crafts centre and galleries, exhibitions and Frome Museum, Westway cinema... Victoria Park, Millenium Green... etc. etc...

I've forgotten when you said you'd be in Somerset - but there's a Frome Town walk on the first Sunday of the month May to Sept.

Another alternative en route would be Longleat - Stately Home and Safari Park - but I can't remember if you'd already decided to visit there another day.

Either way - you could stop off at Norton St Philip for the ancient inn - 13th century George Inn and 15th century church.... and then there's Farleigh Hungerford Castle which is mostly a ruin with some interesting buildings with a museum and chapel still standing.

All en route between Stonehenge and Bath - an embarassment of choices really - and you have to consider how much time you have available too...

How's that, then ? Best wishes, Nolana

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

this helps - I will get out my map tomm morning and plot a course :)

now - i hope hertz will have a nice car for my ride!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

Enjoy your day !!!

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

How is Frome pronounced?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

Froom.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

Hi

I'm not sure which way you are planning to get to Stonehenge, but I would turn off the A36 on the B390 (signposted Shrewton) rather than heading to the A303. Watch out for tanks crossing (very rare, honestly), but the drive across Salisbury Plane is nicer than the main road (A303). If you wanted to go to Stonehenge because of the signiificance of the stones (as opposed to a guidebook saying that it is somewhere that you should go), then I would then plan to get back to Bath via the A4 so that you can see Avebury (lots more stones in a circle around a pretty village) and, if you are feeling fit, climb up to see the white horse carved into the hillside at Cherhill (footpath signs from main road). You'd be going a few miles out of your way to get there, but head to Malborough (nice market town with a few tearooms and pubs down the High Street and a pretty route to get there from A303) to get to the A4. Of course, if you are a fan of Harry Potter movies, you need to head to a place called Lacock Abbey (look for brown signposts on A4) a couple of miles south of Chippenham, where you can have fun recognising some of the classrooms.

The Cotswolds might just be manageable - it depends upon whether you want ot wander around or just drive. Happy to think up a quick route there if you confirm your interests.

As a compromise Castle Coombe and Biddestone are pretty villages off the A4.

I'm happy to give you better directions if you are interested. Also Bath is VERY hilly so you might want to check you have rented an automatic (gear) car if you aren't used to a manual gearbox.

Try www.streetmap.co.uk if you don't have a UK road atlas to get an idea of the route I'm suggesting.

Have fun

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

Hi Jack1066, there is another post on this site - waiting for your expertise on Taunton ! Please read 'what can I do for three weeks in Soemrset' as this poster would like information on hotel accommodation and restaurants in Taunton.....

Are you going to take a trip to Frome then ? There's a nice little tea-shop where they do very good lunches, up Cheap Street, the hill with the stream running down the middle..... ..only thirty minutes drive from my place....they do a good cream tea too.. You need to get there early for lunch as they get very busy. The building is ancient and the fireplace is in the middle of the restaurant area, you can walk right round it ! Anyone missing Italian gelato ( ice-creams) and espresso coffee need only walk on up a bit further to the top of the hill and can indulge in a nice Italian style cafe'..... Mind where you put your feet as you walk up the hill, the 'stream' has no 'edges' there's just a wide slot for it running down the middle of the paving stones, so people have been known to 'put their foot in it ' !

There are pubs too - of course... you are known to have a penchant for the ales...... ;)

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

It really depends what your interests are and what you mean by "Cotswolds". You certainly won't have time to get to the famous Cotswold Towns such as Bourton in the Water, but Lacock would not be far out of your way and you could probably just about squeeze in a visit to Castle Combe as well (although if you are picking up your car on the previous afternoon, you could go to one of these in the evening from Bath as well).

Forget Glastonbury/Wells or Longleat - you won't have enough time.

Marlborough is good but you may find it tricky to park on a Saturday morning, but you could also stop off at Avebury Stone Circle on your way back to Bath

Frome is certainly do-able but you must visit the tourist office when you get there or you will miss the best bits which are hidden away up a steep hill !

Finally, give yourself plenty of time to get back in to Bath with the car as Saturdays can be very busy traffic-wise.

Hope this helps

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what's on the drive from bath to stonehenge?

i am in bath now! finally made it

this hotel is pretty ok -- no air cond. but it seems pretty cool tonight i hope :)

tomm i do some sightseeing of Bath!!!