We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Clemente
Level Contributor
13 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

We plan on a day trip in Bath on a Sunday in May and are a bit curious about parking. Most recommend the Park & Rides, but they are closed on Sundays (University?), so where is the best location for a Sunday day park?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

Hi CalifBeachBum,

The Riverside Car Park is quite large and has multistorey as well as 'on the flat/ground level' spaces. You come to it off the Bristol Road - or the Bristol side of the Railway and bus stations just beyond Churchill Bridge along the River Avon (if that's any help !)

There's another multistorey actually by the Bus station.

There's also the big car park - which is more central - by Royal Victoria Park - you can get into it off Queen's Square.

If you're coming from London - I'm afraid my mind's gone blank - I can't think of one on that side of the city - but there must be one ! I may be back later - when it comes to me ! Hope you have a good time !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

the riverside car park is also known as the Avon Street Car park.

The Lansdown car park is 'the park and ride' on the 'London' side of the city - I don't think it's locked - but then if it's not in use it won't be patrolled - so it might be risky to leave your car there on a Sunday.

Also - I don't think you'll appreciate the hike back up the hill on foot when you want to go back to the car !

San Clemente
Level Contributor
13 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

We'll be leaving Southampton and arriving about 11:00 AM. Which side and where is not as important as locating a place with transit to town or within a comfortable walking distance. As I understand it, the `Ride' part of Park-&-Ride is not in operation on Sundays. Is that correct?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
711 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

as far as i am aware no park and ride on sat. coming in from southmpton i imgine you will be 0n A36. Do remember you can park for free in any parking space on the road or on single yellow lines-don't do doubles though otherwise your car might not be there when you return. Nearest large car park to that side of town, is avon street, near railway and bus stations.

Enjoy!

San Clemente
Level Contributor
13 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

Thanks for the tip. I'm still a bit unclear about the public transportation to town center available at or near the Park-&-Rides on a Sunday, though.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
711 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Bath fo a Sunday Day Trip

Hi, hey aren't we all! public transport generally s****s in the uk! Bath is a pretty small place, you shouldn't need to rely on buses at all. There is loads of parking here. The earlier you get into Bath the better, particularly for street parking.Impossible to advise on unless you knew where you were going to be entering the city from. If you really want to take a bus, i would come off a36 by turning right at brassknocker hill traffic lights. at top by small island turn right. park-somewhere as i suggested before and stand on left h/s of road and wait for a bus in to town. but honestly, just drive in, so much easier.