We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill House or One Three Nine?

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
268 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hill House or One Three Nine?

Hello, all.

I have the excellent fortune of being able to spend a weekend in Bath. After much reading/emailing, I've narrowed down my accommodation choice to the Hill House or One Three Nine.

Is there any obvious reason to choose one over the other, or are they comparable enough that it's down to price and individual preference?

Cheers!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,552 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

Hill House is up a steep(ish) hill but is still very close to the centre of Bath and is a stones throw from the Assembley Rooms, Circus and Royal Crescent.

One Three Nine is also up a steep hill but is on the opposite side of the river to the city centre.

They both get excellant reviews but I'd be more tempted to stay at Hill House.

I think you need to flip a coin ! ;-)

P.S. there's also some very nice pubs and restaurants a couple of minutes walk from Hill House; there's nothing on the other side of the river by One Three Nine.

Edited: 7:27 am, June 10, 2012
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
268 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

Thanks, Matt!

Believe me, many coins have been flipped. The scientific approach of 'eeny meeny miney mo' has also been employed. :-)

They both do get excellent reviews, but Hill House has only 16 total reviews so I was (very) slightly worried. I think my mind is tipping, though. That's a really good point about the pubs/restaurants.

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

I am not associated with either of the two places and wish to give no further guidance, as I have stayed at neither, but it is incorrect to say that "there's nothing on the other side of the river". Arguably the best restaurant in Bath is south of the river (Menu Gordon Jones), in addition to one of the best pubs (the Bear) and one of the best Indian restaurants (Mouchouck). All are a few yards from 139 and the other B&Bs in Upper Oldfield Park. South of the river is where it all happens.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,552 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

"South of the river is where it all happens"

I stand corrected - I forgot that the Bear has had a refurbishment and I must admit, I wasn't aware of those restaurants you mentioned 1Brutus.

And of course THE best pub in Bath, the Royal Oak, is south of the river. ;-)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
268 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

How much of a hike is it between north/south of the river? I've read about a lot of hills (which I'm OK with) and 10-minute walks.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,552 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

Hill House is about a 5 minute walk from George Street at the top of Milsom Street. The Roman Baths and Abbey is a further 5 minute walk away.

At a guess I would say that One Three Nine is about a 15 minute walk from the centre of Bath.

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

Answering the question about the "hike" is a bit like answering the question "how long is a piece of string". If you read the reviews of places in Upper Oldfield Park and of 139, for example, (139 is at the corner of Upper Oldfield Park), you will see that some call it a "pleasant stroll" while others talk about a "steep hill".

We always walk down to the centre and back (often carrying considerable shopping), and we are around 60. But then you get people in their twenties who find it too strenuous. A taxi from the centre to UOP should be no more than 6 Pounds by the way. Of the guests staying at our B&B (which is not 139, by the way), almost everybody walks to town, and about 2/3 will walk back. The B&Bs south of the river is closer to the station and the southern shopping area. To the Abbey/Roman Baths, there is probably not much difference in distance.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

Hill House is quite new so that would explain the number of reviews. I'd pick it for location if you are only in Bath for a short while.

Hannah

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

The Star is the best pub in the West of England, never mind Bath, - and that is North of the river. Honourable mention to the Royal Oak, though.

10. Re: Hill House or One Three Nine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 24, 2013