We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Bath/ day trip to Salisbury area weekend days

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day in Bath/ day trip to Salisbury area weekend days

My daughter and I will be in Bath from Friday afternoon to Monday morning during the second week of May11.12,13 leave 14 may. We will have a hire car so plan to do one full day either the Saturday or Sunday travelling to Salisbury area,maybe Stourhead first then Stonehenge, Salisbury, Averbury.

One other full day we will spend entirely in the city.

Is Saturday or Sunday a "better" day to spend in Bath or to do the day trip above ? Does oi matter ?

Potentially we will have some time Friday late afternon and evening as well as a little bit of time Monday morning to spend in Bath before leaving for the Cotswalds.

We are staying close by in Crescent Gardens.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Bath/ day trip to Salisbury area weekend days

Hi there

Knowing the roads around this area as I do, I don't think it makes much difference whether it's Saturday or Sunday. Regarding your proposed itinerary of Stourhead, Salisbury, Stonehenge and Avebury, I think you need to have a bit of a rethink. You can easily spend several hours at Stourhead, the same in Salisbury, an hour or so at Stonehenge, after which it's a 30 mile drive to Avebury where, if you wanted to see everything ( stones, gardens, house, museums), you could easily spend another half a day.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,016 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Bath/ day trip to Salisbury area weekend days

It may be do-able if you're happy with just a couple of hours (or less) in places rather than longer. You only need an hour for Stonehenge. But I would suggest cutting down on one, possibly Stourhead or Avebury as they're the ones more out on a limb. Avebury surprises me at how quickly time gets eaten up, even just walking around the stones and not doing the other bits GB has mentioned. You could stay an hour there, I guess, but that'll just give you time to walk around the circle, take photos and maybe buy some postcards. Stourhead I expect to take longer! Allow a couple of hours there.

My only thoughts on the choice of day is to comment that churches/cathedrals/abbeys will not be open to visitors on Sunday mornings eg Salisbury cathedral opens about 12.30pm, I think. Of course, going for a service may be something you'd like to experience.

3. Re: Day in Bath/ day trip to Salisbury area weekend days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, March 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bath