We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

ok - i really (underline really) want to rent a car this time - i was thinking of renting a car and driving to stonehenge

any thoughts?

whats the best rental car company in bath?

thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

I don't know if they have a Bath location but I am very fond of Thrifty Rental. I have had trouble with Hertz and Europcar. Trouble in the form of random, unjustified charges being applied without authorisation on my credit card!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

Can't really comment on service quality, but to outline the options...Hertz is the most central to the city, right next to the railway station, About 10 minute-or so walk along the river/Lower Bristol Road from the HI Express. Enterprise is located on the edge of Bath, towards Bristol (on the same road as the HI, but some distance away) I believe they do offer some sort of pick-up service however. There is is a Branch of Alamo, also on the Edge of Bath, off the Upper Bristol Road.

Alternatively, the Kingsmead Ford dealership does rentals, and is located on the Lwr Bristol Road a couple of hundred metres from the HI Express, see http://www.kingsmead-motor.co.uk/rental.html

Wiltshire,UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

Allen

Stonehenge is a good choice but also check out Avebury for another circle and museums. Personally I prefer it but it doesnt get the coverage that Stonehenge gets in the "must see" lists!! It isnt too far away (both in the county of Wiltshire) and could easily be combined with a trip to Stonehenge. It is close to marlbourough which is a quaint market town also worth checking out.

Try Avebury web site to see if you are tempted!!

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/

w-findaplace/w-avebury.htm

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

FYI - the ford dealer no longer does car rentals they tell me.

darn!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

you can actually get close up and hug the stones at Avebury...

OD
Grand Bend, Ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying at the holiday inn express bath - any thoughts on...

Thrifty rental is the least hassle. And if you drive to Stonehenge, you can sign up for that early small group (about 8 a.m.) that gets you right in up to the stones, with the security guard. If you go later with a tour group they have the stones cordoned off and you can't get close to them.

Please know I have no association with Thrifty, in case you are asking! I've just had good service from them.