We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Bath

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
27 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Bath

Hello everybody!

We will be staying in Bath for 5 days during the first week of January 2011. We think that 3 days would be enough to explore Bath and so we're planning to have a couple of day trips.

We are thinking:

1. Stratford upon Avon and/or Warwick castle (is it possible both in the same day? If not which one do you propose? For this trip is train or bus more convenient?)

2. Oxford

Any other suggestion for a must see destination? Any place you would rather prefer than the 2 above?

Thank you so much!!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Bath

Getting to Stratford and Warwick from Bath is not too straightforward by public transport for a day trip, particularly at a time of year when the hours of daylight are so short. Oxford is rather better - get a London bound train and change at Didcot Parkway.

However, you might consider places rather nearer. Bristol is easy to get to by either bus or train and, although it does not get the attention it deserves on this forum, has a wide range of places to see. If you want smaller places, how about taking a bus to Wells and then, if there is time, on to Glastonbury.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Bath

You'll be pleased to hear that the snow has all gone now (and looks set to remain that way for the next few weeks) so the travel network ought to be back to normal.

Yes, Bristol is a very good suggestion for a day-trip (or even an afternoon). There are regular train services to Bristol Temple Meads station (the journey is about £6 from memory and takes about 20 minutes). The tourism website is www.visitbristol.co.uk (Bristol is a much bigger multi-cultural city and much of its former wealth was derived from the slave trade and tobacco).

I see that there is still an outdoor iceskating rink and steam fair on when you are visiting at the "Christmas in the City" (which might be fun if "we" includes children).

A few other ideas to consider:

- Cardiff (yes, in Wales, but just over an hour away by train) - perhaps visit the castle, explore the old market and the docklands regeneration at Cardiff Bay www.visitcardiff.com

- Salisbury - again about an hour away by train (you can catch a bus to Stonehenge from the train station) - the cathedral quarter is worth exploring.

- Cotswolds guided day-trip - you will need to check that tours are running, but Mad Max do 1-day tours of the Cotswolds (an area which is a challenge to visit from Bath without a car)

Do shout if you need more information

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Bath

I'd second railtraveller65's suggestion of either Bristol or Wells as a day trip.

Bristol is a lovely city, with an interesting centre, harbour area and the area of Clifton for starters.

Wells has beautiful cobbled streets, a stunning catherdral and the surrounding area is lovely to look at.

If you head off for Stratford or Oxford you'll spend half of your time travelling rather than enjoying the place you get to.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Bath

Hi there

Two more possibilities..

Take the train from Bath to Chippenham then bus to Lacock, one of the prettiest villages in England with it's church, cottages, Abbey, gardens, museum, tea shops and good pubs.

Or, take the train to Swindon, then take the hourly #49 bus to Avebury where you have the stone circle, museums, house, gardens and the village itself. If the weather's fine, you can walk along the "Avenue" to Silbury Hill and just across the road, is West Kennet long barrow.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Bath

I, too, would suggest an outing to Avebury (could be combined with a browse around the Swindon Designer Outlet Mall near Swindon Railway station) if the weather stays dry. I first visited the Avebury complex on a frosty January day and it was simply magical - stones and grass sparkling with hoar frost - but the walk to West Kennet barrow was over frozen mud.

Here are some websites that you may find of interest:

www.travelinesw.com

www.wiltshiretouristguide.com

www.wiltshiteheritage.org.uk

www.hengeshop.com

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Bath

My apologies - I have just noticed a silly misprint of mine. The third item in the above post should read:

www.wilshireheritage.org.uk

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Bath

No - thats the american spelling of Wiltshire pausilypon - try www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk instead !

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Bath

I second the suggestion about visiting Lacock Abbey and Village--lovely, and close to Bath. Much closer than Oxford or Stratford-Upon-Avon. Mad Max tours offer a visit to Lacock and Stonehenge from Bath. http://www.madmax.abel.co.uk/

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Bath

Thanks for the friendly correction, Phil-the-bus - blame seasonal overindulgence for the slip!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Bath

Wells is worth a visit particularly on market days: Wednesday (Farmers' and general market - and Saturdays (Food and general).

Get answers to your questions about Bath