We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going Bath

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Going Bath

Hello, my name is Graciela, I'm Spanish and now I'm living in Dublin. I'm thinking about to go to Bath to work in May. Someone could give me some information, your ideas, opinions....anything!!

Thank u

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going Bath

Bath is lovely,and maybe much like Dublin has a busy tourist trade. It is small enough to be personal yet big enough to have plenty to do, give it a go.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going Bath

Hi Grisita,

Bath is small, compact, the centre is pedestrianised, one way system for the bits that aren't. It's a little more expensive in shops and renting accommodation than the surrounding area. But it does have some nice shops... good assortment, little ones and the big names too. Beautiful Georgian architecture... mellow honey coloured Bath stone buildings (even the modern ones)...wonderful public gardens and the city is decorated with flowers everywhere most of the year. Boat trips on the river... train and bus station so easy access to public transport ... within easy reach of Bristol too.

And down into Somerset. It gets a bit crowded with tourists and shoppers on Saturdays, in the summer... more peaceful out of season and in the week. Has two universities and a big technical college...lots of students. There's the Theatre Royal, and several cinemas...night clubs...all sorts of restaurants and pubs etc.

Houses in the centre are very expensive to buy - particularly the 'historic' ones.

Hope you have a great time !

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going Bath

Hi Graciela

You don't say what sort of work you are hoping to do (but don't worry, Bath is quite multi-cultural and most shops/hotels like to advertise if they have a member of staff who can speak other languages).

Bath is MUCH smaller than Dublin (about 85,000 I believe) I think at least 10% of Bath residents (in term time) are university students and, because it is also very popular with tourists, there are many bars and restaurants.

There's even a pretty good Spanish restaurant:

http://www.la-flamenca.com/

(and the obligatory La Tasca and Las Iguanas chains)

The downside of the fact that Bath is such a nice place to live is that housing is quite pricey, but it's a great little city.

Maybe book a cheap flight over to Bristol Intl and check the city out

teaneck, new jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going Bath

Is there a train from either London or Heathrow? The tours I've seen are Bath/Stonehenge

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going Bath

Trains run regualry every day from Bath to London, usually into London Paddington. You have to change in London for the Heathrow express.

Bath to Paddington takes about an hour and a half.