We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day trip in Bath from London

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one day trip in Bath from London

Hi, we're planning to take a day trip to Bath frrom London. We will be in London for 3 full days ( saturday to Monday). This will be our second time in London but first in Bath.

My question is:

1. Is my only choice to preorder in order to pay less or I can just choose to travel on less busy times and still not pay too much as Less than 25 pounds.

2. Can we take a bus . If yes, how long?

3. Do we need to take a tour or just do it on our own?

Thanks so much

Portsmouth England
Level Contributor
75 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Agnes, it would be best to go by train from one of the London Stations to B ath, to travel by road would take too long for a day trip. When you get there the best way to see the city is by a tour bus, you can get on and off at particular places that interest you, then get back on another bus. Hope it helps

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Walk on return tickets are £59 on the 0830 and later trains and £48.80++ at or after 1030 -you can buy these on the day. Trains take about 1.5 hours and in the day run every half hour.

++ On a Saturday this fare is available on all trains

Advance tickets can be a lot less than this - but availability near the day of travel will be hit and miss - you might be lucky, but are more likely to pay the walkup fare

The bus takes 3 hours plus and costs £20.20 return - can be less if booked in advance. Run roughly every 2 hours - and the last one bck is a lot earlier than the last train.

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Thanks. I definitely need to book train ticket in advance. Just need to figure out what day. As for the bus tour in Bath , do I need to pre book or just show up.

I am kind of thinking if it wouldn't be too far, we like to see Cambridge too.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Cambridge is an easy day trip from London and you don't have the bother of deciding whether to book in advance or not - all rail tickets are the same price on the day.

Up to you if you have time or not.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

No need to book on the tourist buses.

There is a h*ll of a lot to see in Bath (the Roman Baths takes min 75 minutes, and that is skimping it), so catch the earliest possible train and catch as late as possible back.

If you catch the 08:30 from Paddington that will get you to Bath around 10. When you come out of the station, walk straight ahead for about 300 yards until the road opens out and you come to what is known locally as Bog Island (there used to be public toilets there). Turn left into York Street, after 100 yards you will come to Abbey Courtyard, walk up towards the Abbey, and bear to the left, the Roman Baths entrance cannot be missed: it's a 6 minute walk form the station. Go into the Pump Rooms (part of the Baths complex) for a reving cup of coffee, then do a tour of the Baths (get audio guide). The Baths can get very crowded, especially at weekends, so get in early.

When you have finished in the Baths, tour buses go from next to the Abbey (just ask), so you can recover from the Baths.

It is possible to get a joint ticket for the Roman Baths and the Museum of Costume - I think it's about £14 - if you are remotely interested in fashion. the Museum is in the basement of the Assembly Rooms, which are free to enter (but will be closed if there is a function).

To be honest I don't think a tour bus trip is necessary, as central Bath is very compact - The Royal Crescent, which is the furthest distance tourist normally go from the station, is only a 15-20 minute walk: what the bus tour should give you is views overlooking the city, so if the weather is good then ignore this comment ! Bath on a sunny day is glorious.

This map will give you some idea of how small it is - it covers less than a mile each way. Bath Spa station if bottom right.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=374925&y=165073&z=110&sv=milsom+street&st=6&tl=Map+of+Milsom+Street,+Bath,+BA1&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Any more questions, fire away, this website will give you some more ideas http://visitbath.co.uk/site/things-to-do

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Bath is about 100 miles from London. Cambridge is only 45.

I've never seen the need to do a bus tour of Bath since the centre is so small and partly pedestrianised. However, I've never done it so maybe it is something special.

I have done the bus tour in Cambridge and that was good but mainly because it went out to the American cemetary (chapel ceiling is amamzing for a start) where I had never been before. If you are going to go punting and visit a couple of colleges, you don't have much time to do the bus tour.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Ho Hum... Cambridge and Bath both have lots to offer. But the OP asked about Bath and, in the bizarre world of UK train ticket pricing, "advance" tickets to Bath and back can cost less than "off-peak" tickets to Cambridge. What you lose is flexibility. With an "advance" you must travel on the train you've booked for or expect to pay an exorbitant penalty fare.The excellent website www.seat61.com gives as clear an explanation as you can find anywhere.

In Cambridge you need to watch out for college closures, especially around exam time. The train operator for the fast trains from Kings Cross is firstcapitalconnect.co.uk

The train operator for the fast trains to Bath from Paddington is firstgreatwestern.co.uk.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

We had a very nice day trip to Bath last year and I encourage you to do it. It's very compact as was mentioned and we saw the Baths, cathedral, had a nice lunch, took a boat ride, and had time for a walk along the riverl as well. (Not that into museums.)

We got there before noon and got back to London for dinner.

Another year we went to Cambridge, very easy by train, almost like a commuter route.

Edited: 8:43 pm, July 06, 2010
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
101 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Anderson Tours in London operate a day trip to Bath via Stonehenge by coach, they offer a guided city tour of Bath on arrival by coach, therefore getting your bearings to the city, entrance to the Roman Baths and you also get free time to wander around. They operate 7 days a week. www.andersontours.co.uk

This way you will maximise the time you have in Bath.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day trip in Bath from London

Sorry, have to completely disagree on that one - if you get 2.5 hours in Bath on that tour you will be lucky.

But you will get to spend 6+ hours in a coach.

Take the train.