We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

In our 6 days in London we are planning to have a two day trip with an overnight stay. We have decided on hiring a car in Surrey somewhere, then travelling to Bath and staying overnight. We hope to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury on the return trip the following day. Does anyone have suggestions on other places to visit on our trip or places to stay....either in Bath or in a surrounding area. We would prefer a smallish place, B&B or small hotel. We will be there late Jan, so expecting it to be cold...will it also be quiet...??

A spa is a nice optional extra as we may go for a run in the morning before driving off, so running in the cold and then jumping in a hot spa has appeal.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

All being well it won't be that cold. 45f to 55f(6c to 13c) is the January norm. On your trip out of London you could try and visit the beautiful villages of Lacock and Castle Combe on your way in or out of Bath, it is not too far out of your way. Nice easy run to Stonehenge from Bath A36 but full of dreaded ROUNDABOUTS, then on to London.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

We may feel the cold a little henneth, coming from our summer and above 30C temps. But I like the cold, so should get used to it quickly. Luckily we drive on the same side of the road, so looking forward to the roundabouts :-))

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Will,

We're about the only country that uses the term "spa" for bubbly water. For the rest of the world it's a jacuzzi. A spa is a beauticians (massages, pedicure etc). perhaps you'll need a toenail trim after the run ;). The public spa in Bath should be open...right in the centre of town. It looked delish when we were there but we could only peer thru the window coz it still wasn't open.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,766 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

The spa is still not open - many months late and millions over budget. I think the locals will have some choice words if you ask them about it.

There are loads of small hotels and B&B's in Bath and the area. Check www.visitbath.co.uk If you want to stay outside Bath, Bradford-Upon-Avon is a lovely small town.

Good luck and please contact us again if we can be of any more help,

Adam C

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Thanks Mrs. Guru and Adam, I will take both of your comments on board. All those spas sounded so nice GW, anyway we can have fun looking in the window as well. I like the sound of that little town Adam, want to stay in a smaller place, so might just drive through there and see what is available. This will be our only time out of London, so looking forward to seeing a few places.

Adam you will remember my post about the Premier League, I think J's sister in London has organized to go to the QPR vs Wolves game on Feb 22nd, this is after our venture through Belfast, Paris and Italy and just a day before we have to go home, so hopefully we will see a good game...is there much difference in the "atmosphere" of a championship game vs a Premier league game...??

Question GW....Do they have hot outdoor pools in Bath, like the ones you see in New Zealand..??

Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Willnino - I am glad to be able to make some suggestions, given your great posts about Australia. I personally don't understand the spa/jacuzzi thing, just makes me think of infected toenails.

We lived in the UK 1997-2001 and on our triumphant passage across the south of England in the dying days of our stay, we went to Stonehenge in January - and I have the photos to prove it. Two words ... RUG UP. It's a marvellous place but it's VERY cold. They don't run army exercises on Salisbury Plain (where S/henge is) for nothing.

But the good thing is it will be quiet - in answer to your question. At least, low tourist season. I don't know anywhere particular to recommend accommodation wise but I think the Rough Guides are good for the UK and they have an edited online version travel.roughguides.com/roughguides.html. Just follow the dropdown menus.

If you like ancient stones, I highly recommend the village Avebury, which close by and run by the National Trust (NT here has reciprocal rights but most NT UK houses are shut this time of year - but of course Avebury will be "open"). The stones are smaller but there are lots of them and you can (or could when we were last there) frolic around and through them - which you can't do at Stonehenge.

Don't forget Sarum, just outside Salisbury which dates back to pre-Roman times. The settlement later moved down the road to where modern Salisbury is.

The other place to see in Winchester, very close to Salisbury. Famous school, gorgeous cathedral, lovely cathedral close and wonderful historic streets, lovely walks in water meadows and St Cross Hospital (cared for by its resident "brethren").

Bath is great, if you haven't been there before, and it's good to go in low season, although I have the impression it's always pretty busy. We found parking a nightmare when we last went, so if you actually stay there, it might solve the parking problem. Because it's a university town there's a wide range of accommodation options and places to eat.

For when you're in Lond, may I give the Geffrye Museum a plug. It's free and an old almshouse converted to a museum of English interiors - rooms through the ages. It also has visiting exhibitions and a very good cafe. It's in Hackney/Shoreditch just NE of the City of London and easily accessible by bus from Liverpool St station. Also the Museum of London, which is in the middle of a big roundabout in the City. It's a good size and very interesting. Don't forget the walking tours (brochures everywhere but stick to the bigger outfits - we found some of the smaller ones just didn't turn up sometimes), which are good at this time of year when there aren't so many people on them. Otherwise large groups can be cumbersome.

If you have questions about Paris let me know. I used to go there a bit when we lived in the UK - although there's a guru on the Paris board who is a walking encyclopaedia on the place. That said, I recommend staying in the Marais - it's very convenient, has good restaurants and boasts a number of its own attractions - Place des Vosges, Carnavalet Museum, Picasso Museum, Pompidou Centre etc.

We are heading of to the UK ourselves in a few wks, then Spain, Portugal and Alsace and home via HK. Enjoy your trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

For accommodation, also have a look at specialplacestostay.com/titles/…index.html. Alastair Sawday is an authority on accommodation in the UK and his guides are well respected. The website is good but a bit cumbersome to navigate. You might find something there. Also have a look in the travel sections of The Guardian and The Independent newspapers - both have excellent online versions http://travel.guardian.co.uk/ and http://travel.independent.co.uk/.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
386 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Try the Duke's Hotel, very small and elegant, close to everything. I highly recommend it.

Happy trails,

Miz Liz

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Other than the ancient Baths, which you cant use because of bacteria, i didn't notice anything outdoors. When we looked in the window it was very light and airy ( I imagine they may have glass roofs) but didn't seem to be outdoors.

It was 38c the second day we were in Bath (the day of record temps in England) so I wasn't really looking for a warm dip. We were having trouble just buying water, much less swimming in it.

Tongi..the Spa jacuzzi thing stems from my daughter asking directions at hotel we stayed at to the Spa. The wonderful concierge walked her all the way to...a beauticians. When my daughter explained she wanted "the pool with bubbly water" she was told in future to refer to it as a Jacuzzi. When in Rome..or England at least.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight stay from London to Bath..suggestions

Thanks Tongi, GW and MizLiz. Was great to hear from you all. I appreciate the comments Tongi and thanks for the tips. We have a fair bit of info on Paris and have got a few things from posts on here but the Paris posts disappear so quickly, one day and they are on page 2. We are compiling a nice dossier of info on Paris and are staying at Hotel Pantheon opposite the Pantheon. J has quickly picked up on comments about pain au chocolat....hmmmm. She is looking forward to those over there, whilst I am looking forward to trying real Guiness in London and Belfast. Only newly converted to the black stuff but they tell me ours (Aussie) isn't anything compared to the UK variety. Any other tips besides where to get chocolate croissants is much appreciated.

MizLiz, any more info on Dukes Hotel, is it in Bath...?? Am wondering if we just visit Bath and stay at a place like Bradford-Upon-Avon...what do others think...??

GW, we will leave the outdoor spa till we visit NZ during the year. Not sure how you relate infected toenails to spas Tongi but you should try the outdoor heated springs in places like Mt. Manganui in NZ, super warm whilst the outside air temp is around 15C and raining....Beautiful. One of my travel highlights..:-))

Get answers to your questions about Bath