We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Bath?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Bath?

My family of four will be in Edinburgh next spring to visit family and friends. We have seen quite a bit of Scotland and London, so, now are contemplating other areas of the U.K. to visit. I would like to see Bath and would be interested in recommendations for the best way to get to Bath from Edinburgh. Cost is not a big issue. Convenience is. I still need to keep an eye on my youngest, who is 11, all while hauling luggage around. Do we need to go through London?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

I'm very curious to see what others post, as we'll be doing the same journey in mid July. World travellers we are not ;).

We eventually decided to take an EasyJet flight from Edinburgh to Bristol, and then hire a taxi service from Bristol to Bath. The flight cost (for three travellers) around 85 GBP including all taxes, and is about an hour and 20 minutes long. The taxi service (http://www.airportcarz.com/) came out to 11 GBP per person, which I believe was cheaper than hiring a regular taxi.

Alternatively British Airways also flies Edinburgh to Bristol, but it is considerably more expensive (192 GBP _per person_!).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,003 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

How long have you got for the journey? You could just about do it on a very very long day but you would have to stick to Motorways - rather boring.

If you can break the journey, the lake district would be great for a couple of nights. No need to go to London. M5 north to M6, maybe divert along M56 to Chester for lunch then back to M6 and north to Kendal, Bowness or Keswick.

On to Edinburgh via Carlisle on the M6 and a beautiful drive across country on the A7.

Or take the plane...

Hope that helps but please do ask again if you need more information.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

I think Adam has got a little mixed up here he means I think,

stay a couple of nights in the lake district, ---

south to Chester, and then on to Bath.

If you do stop in the beautiful city of Chester, I suggest you take the park and ride located in area's around the city.

When you see Chester you will want to stay longer than a break for lunch, it is full of history, the city walls, roman ruins, the river etc.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

Thanks for the suggestions. At this point, we have no fixed plans other than Edinburgh. We probably do not want to drive ourselves to Bath. Despite numerous trips to the land of driving on the left hand side of the road, it's hard to break our old habits and the fear of causing an accident makes driving too stressful. However, I understand the countryside around Bath is beautiful. Going through the Lake district also sounds like a good idea. I've been looking at rail schedules and considering whether this might be a way to go. We also have thought we could fly in then take day trips with a tour guide.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

If you are nervous about driving then the train is a good idea/ or take a flight to London at a reasonable cost.

If you do decide to return to London, I suggest you take a day trip by train to Bath at your own leisure, spend all day there if you wish rather than an expensive tour.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

If you don't feel confident about driving the VERY long journey and traffic jams down from Edinburgh, I would recommend taking an Easyjet flight down to Bristol. I suspect you can only book flights 3-4 months in advance (they are unlikely to close the route, so don't worry). If you avoid weekends and start looking as early as possible the flights will be VERY cheap.

I use taxis quite frequently to get to/from Bath to Bristol. If you type in "Taxi from Bristol airport to Bath" into google.co.uk you will get a fair idea of the price (about ��30 curently). The Bath taxi drivers are used to hanging around at the airport waiting for pick-ups and know the back-roads to get you to your hotel/flat of choice in town (Bristol taxi drivers tend to know Bristol, and struggle to navigate the crazy traffic systems in Bath).

Trains/planes via London will take hours and cost quite a bit more

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

I would definitely recommend flying from Edinburgh to Bristol by Easyjet. Book well in advance to get a really cheap ticket. There is an excellent frequent bus service from the centre of Edinburgh to the airport. At Bristol I would recommend AirportCarz. They have a huge fleet of Ford Galaxy MPV's and they have a desk in the arrivals hall where you can pay before boarding your taxi. I believe that the standard fare to Bath is ��35 (for up to 4-5 people) and the drivers take you on the cross-country route which avoids the usual traffic hold-ups in Bristol. The journey ought to take about 45 minutes from the airport to Bath. Have a good trip!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

If you decide to go by rail the journey should take 6-7 hours with 2 changes -1 in north England & 1 in Bristol. Bristol is only 15 mins from Bath. The railway station is in theeart of the city.

This makes it convenient.You can get the best cost by booking within 3 months, but at least 21 days in advance, and specify connecting trains. You could stop off en route over and have a flexible ticket but this would cost considerably more.

You can always travel first class, but this is much more. At weekends you can sometimes upgrade to 1st class at supp approx 10.00 gbp pp one way. subject to space.

Remember children under 16 go half fare.

www.qjump.co.uk may be useful guidance

For next sprig the details should be in the system nearer christmas / new year.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

By the way, the rail journey, through Scotland especially, is impressive.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh to Bath?

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I now have a number of options to consider.