We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath Abbey bell ringing

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
536 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bath Abbey bell ringing

One of the highlights of my recent trip to England was observing bell ringing at Bath Abbey. I was there August 31 to September 2 and at one point just happened to notice a small sign on a back door of the Abbey that said something like: Bell Ringing Sunday 10 am.

I walked over to the Abbey shortly before ten and met one of the bell ringers outside who told me they ring the bells between services and the enjoy having the public observe (it's why they put the sign on the door). He warned me there were something like 120 steps and a trip across the roof to get to the bell tower, but I was up for it.

The bell ropes hang down through holes in the ceiling and first they ring the bells to get them in an upright position. After that they can start the actual change ringing which sends the bells completely around. Fascinating and beautiful.

If anyone is in Bath on a Sunday morning, I recommend watching the bells being rung.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath Abbey bell ringing

This isn't the sort of thing that has universal appeal, but I am so glad you posted it. It's something I would arrange an itinerary to include! Thank you.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath Abbey bell ringing

P.S. Mimmy, if bells in special places appeal to you, you might be interested in the Easter Peal at Durham Cathedral. It actually occurs on Easter Monday, and lasts for 4 hours in the afternoon. The week we spent at Hadrian's Wall included a trip to Durham for that. We were lucky to have glorious weather to enjoy the magnificent bells as we walked along the riverbank and around the town.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
536 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath Abbey bell ringing

Britfan, four hours of bell ringing? Wow, that would be something. I'll have to make a note.

4. Re: Bath Abbey bell ringing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, September 09, 2009