We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

jillymag@ca.rr.com
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

My family ( husband, 2 teens, 71 year old mom, brother & sister in law) will be doing a home exchange with a family in Bath in Aug. We will be flying into Heathrow and going on to Bath. We have booked rooms in London for 3 nights at the end of the trip.

What is the best way to get to Bath from Heathrow? I've read about the train, bus, car for hire and I'm not sure with 7 people and luggage, what the best way to go would be. We will have flown all night so we will be tired.

Also, what are some good day trips from Bath or maybe an overnighter? Must sees? We will have a car in the exchange. I don't want to tire out my mom but I don't want the teens to be bored.

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

I think its all down to how much you want to spend and convenience.

Most convenient would be hiring mini bus with driver, but I don't know what that would cost, maybe £250 at a guess? OTOH, 7 tickets on public transport wont be cheap either , even if it was £30 each for the various combinations of train and bus you could take (there are several ways you could go), that would be £200+ each, so looking for a private hire seems to be the way to go if my guess is in the right ballpark.

Search in the London forum for "private airport transfers" and you'll get some names. You could also google for mini bus hire in the bath area. Bear in mind, a 8 seater MPV will not take you, because it wont have room for your luggage unless there is a company that does a luggage trailer. I suppose you can also get quotes for two cars, they will need to be MPVs though as a standard saloon wont take 4 people plus their luggage.

I think some time on the web and phone is called for :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

Someone on another thread mentioned these guys

shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/fcmbs/

jillymag@ca.rr.com
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

Thanks, I've sent off some requests for quotes for a mini bus.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

Daytrips from Bath : Wells (cathedral city with bishops palace and moat) ; Glastonbury ; The Mendip Hills, The Somerset Wetlands; Cheddar (perhaps ) ; Bristol; Gloucester; Westonbirt arboretum; Slimbridge wildfowl trust; Montacute House; Stourhead house and Garden; Exeter; The Cotswolds; Stonehenge; Salisbury ; Winchester (although you can do the last three from London) ; Cardiff ; Wales ; Wye Valley; Durdle Dor; ...... there's plenty !

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
134 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

StoneHenge and Avebury. Lacock's a nice village too

jillymag@ca.rr.com
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

Thanks for all of your help with planning my trip to Bath! I've arranged for a car from Heathrow to Bath.

I have planned a 3 day trip to Chipping Campden staying at Bager's Hall after reading all of the great reviews here. Any "must sees" in the Cotswolds?

I am trying to book a Mad Max full day tour to see Stonehenge, Avebury, Lacock, and Castle Combe. I thought this might be easier than driving. It looks like they are good, even though my 16 year old hates tours.

We will do a day trip to Wales, Glastonbury, Wookey Hole, and Cheddar.

I am also planning a day trip to Cardiff and was wondering if we should drive or take the train. Has anyone done the dinner at Cardiff Castle?

Our last three days will be spent in London.

The rest of the time will be spent seeing Bath. Any input would be much appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

"It looks like they are good, even though my 16 year old hates tours."

Don't 16 year olds hate everything anyway? :-)

How much was the car and who did you book it with? (for future posters reference)

jillymag@ca.rr.com
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

True, they do. The car was part of the house exchange.

9. Re: Bath Home Exchange- 19 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 05, 2009