We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Bath

stephniki
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three days in Bath

Hi. I will be in Bath in June. I have three days there. I am so excited. I have read a lot and am deciding on the best things to do on my third day. I will be leaving by train to get back to just outside of London probably in the late afternoon of the third day. I will be storing my gear in my B&B during the day and have to pick it up and take the train back from Bath, if I shoudl take a side trip. Is there plenty to do in Bath for over two and a half days, or should I take a side trip? I will be going to the Cotswolds for a day or so earlier in my trip, but the other end of the Cotswolds. Thanks so much.

Stephie

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Bath

Stephie: I think Bath will keep you busy, but you might enjoy a visit to Bradford-upon-Avon, which is a short train ride from Bath. http://www.bradford-on-avon.org/

If you click on the brochure on this page, you can see more things to see and do in the town: www.bradfordonavon.co.uk/brochure/index.htm

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in Bath

Quite frankly, stephniki, most visitors from abroad, at least the first time they come over here - only spend a day in Bath.... you can do a hop on / hop off bus tour to start with, which will give you an idea of the layout of the city and perhaps take you up to the hills around to look down on the panorama of the city. The historic centre is very compact. Depending on the speed at which people are prepared to walk, they can effectively cover all the important bits in a two hour walking tour ! You can then spend another couple of hours in the Roman Baths Museum - or less.... and another hour or so in the Assembly rooms and Museum of costume... you can get 'combined tickets' to visit both on the same day. After that - you just choose which museums and art galleries/the Abbey you want to visit.... or go shopping....visit the botanical gardens, or wander around soaking up the atmosphere... You could visit the Spa, a dip in the real, hot mineral water, - if you can get a booking - it'll cost a minimum of nineteen pounds to get in just for a dip in the rooftop pool - which is an experience in itself (you have a view of the top of the abbey). Treatments are charged on top of that. Then you could spend an evening at the Theatre Royal....

Have a look at the official 'visitbath.co.uk ' website for more ideas...

I think that if you've spent two days in Bath, you could easily take a bus into the little cathedral city of Wells and spend the third morning there. I'm sure you won't regret it. Try to get a look at some pictures of 'Wells, Somerset' on the internet - (there's another place called Wells- next -the -sea, which is in another area and isn't the one I mean ! )

Wells in Somerset has a wonderful cathedral and a medieval bishops palace (you can visit), with a moat and drawbridge, and swans that ring the bell for food.... a medieval street - the oldest, continuously inhabited, purpose built, medieval street in Europe...near the cathedral.

You can see the window in the market place where William Penn (founder of Pennsylvania) preached from ....

There's a plaque in the pavement in the market place marking the length of the long jump that Olympic gold medallist from Wells - Mary Rand - jumped....

And the water from the springs in the bishops palace gardens (you can visit) runs down both sides of the high street.... effectively a river runs down the high street ! Unsuspecting visitors think there's something wrong with the drains, because the water comes up the drains instead of going down them, but it's water from the springs, water two of the bishops donated to the city to clean the streets !

Several films have been made in the little city - it's so compact and the buildings all so historic. There are several old coaching inns - I don't know what else to say to describe it any further ! There are walls around the area that belonged to the Cathedral with three old gatehouses - one of them is now part of an hotel, and they had to dismantle a fourposter bed to get it up there !

I'm biased, I suppose, because I live in this area - but I think it's lovely ! You could do it in a morning, and then return to Bath - it's about an hour, I think , on a bus, and you'll get to see the top of the Mendip Hills on your way there.

It's your choice.... northwards to the Cotswolds, or southwards to Wells ! Enjoy your visit ! Nolana

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Bath

Another alternative might be to take a bus to Chippenham, then take another to either Castle Combe or Lacock (or even both).

if you are able to take your luggage with you, you could even pick up the London train at Chippenham, rather than have to return to Bath.

Buses to Castle Combe run every 2 hours but the timetable is not on the internet, so send an email to buses@wiltshire.gov.uk if you decide to go there.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Bath

I am with Nolana as regards Wells, an undiscovered gem. You could catch an early bus on the second day and spend the morning in Wells, then move on to Glastonbury after luncn. (the name come from glasto, the old English word for woad).

The third day you can mop up anything you have missed in Bath.

5. Re: Three days in Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 01, 2009