We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

During my stay in Europe, I will be spending most of the time with a friend who lives in Surrey, but I will be goign for a few days to visit a friend in Spain. My friend in Surrey suggested today maybe I'd like to go directly from the airport, after I arrive from Spain , to Bath. Taht would mean spending the weekend, rather than arriving on a Sunday or Monday. Is Bath more expensive (the guest houses and B. and B's) on the weekend. I'm coming sometime between June 15 and 18th. Also, how long does it take to see the main sights in Bath. Is two days plenty (including day of arrival) or would I be better off to stay in a place that is a litlte less money (maybe not quite as nice) but to stay an extra day. I have no idea how many sights there are, and things to do. From what I've read of the spa, I'm just going to the Cross Bath. Thank you soooooooooooo much!

Best wishes,

Danni

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

There's lots to see in Bath - stay as many nights as you can. There is much more than the Cross Bath - there's the Roman Baths Museum, and the Pump Room.... then there's the Abbey, the Circus, the Assembly Rooms, the Museum of Costume, the Holbourne museum and art gallery, the Guildhall and the Victoria Art Gallery and the Royal Crescent - if you're interested in botanical gardens there's the Royal Victoria Park - the Theatre Royal, and more .....not to mention you can go shopping. If you 'd like a free walking tour, you can pick one upwith the Mayor's Voluntary Guides in the square in front of the Abbey - just outside the entrance to the Roman Baths museum... there's a sign outside, I think they leave at 10.30 am and 2pm... or thereabouts.

Then you can hop on a bus/car and visit the little gem of a Cathedral city of Wells (smallest city in England) with the oldest, most complete, purpose built and continually inhabited mediaeval street in Europe - Vicars Close, the Bishops Palace with its moat..... and hop on another bus in the afternoon to Glastonbury (the Tor, the Abbey ruins, the Rural Life museum...)

Or... go into the Cotswolds and visit those villages...

Yes.... it's more crowded at weekends.... isn't everywhere ?

Go to the visitbath website for full details of things to see/do an events.....

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Thanks for the inforamation Nolana. I will be staying a good part of my trip in Surrey with a friend and we're going to the Costwolds and Stratford Upon Avon. Teh Cotswolds are one of my main reasons for coming to England. Any particular things I should see there? I know this is the Bath forum, but you seem so knowledgable.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Danni, I think you'd better just type 'Cotswolds' into the search facility at the top right of this page, and then choose 'all forums' before clicking on search.... that will give you all the postings referring to the Cotswolds... pages of them ! You'll see what everyone thinks of all the places they 've visited.

However, just as a taster..... :

Painswick for its wonderful views across the Vale of Gloucester.

The little towns & villages - Cirencester, Fairford, Burford, Lechlade & Faringdon, Bibury & the Slaughters. Snowshill, Chipping Camden, Broadway,Stow in the Wold and Bourton on the Water, Castle Coombe, Moreton-in-the-March. Cheltenham is a town worth visiting for its regency architecture.

If you are interested in history, churches etc... then there's Fairford church ( in Fairford) with the most complete late medieval stained glass in a parish church in the country, the church itself is Late Perpendicular .

If you like gardens :

Malmesbury, a little town with an abbey and gardens. For trees....Westonbirt arboretum...probably best in spring and autumn, if the weather's good. There are several gardens to visit ...Hidcote, Sudeley .... etc.

There are Loads of walks in the area including the Cotswolds Way.

The Farncombe Estate Study Centre (for adults) organises cultural and recreational courses and events including guided walks with local experts. They also offer transport to get you around and pick up from Evesham railway station. Website :www.FarncombeEstate.co.uk

For public transport try the following website:

cotswoldsaonb.com/bus_timetables/index.asp

or

http://www.cotswoldsaonb.com

Your best bet is that browse of this website on the Cotswold forum !

So much to see... so little time... you'll have to come back again...and again.... and again... !

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Nolana, Sounds like maybe I shoudl spend more days in the Cotswolds and only two in Bath? I am leaving to go back to the US on the 21st and planning to go to Bath either the 16 or 17th (depending on where I stay, when it has a vacancy) and maybe stay a third day. I'm going by train back to Guildford, where I'm staying with a friend. I have to decide when to return to Guildford and would take another day trip to the Cotswolds, mabye. My friend and I are going to Stratford Upon Avon and the Costwolds on the fourth and fifth of June. She can't stay away more than a day. I wonder if she would be willing to take more daytrips there. It sounds fabulous. Wish I had more time in England.

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Thank you for all the information about the Cotswolds, Nolana. It sounds likke maybe I should only spend two days in Bath and maybe go back to the Cotswolds?? I am going there and Stratford Upon Avon and the Costwolds on the 4th and 5th of June. The friend I am staying with in Surrey can't spend more than one day at a hotel due to all her animals. I wish we could stay longer in the Cotswolds. I'm going to Spain the week of the 11th. I'll either be going to Bath on teh 16th or 17th depending on teh hotel where I stay. From what you are saying, I don't know whether to spend another day in Bath, or try to spend more time in teh Costwolds. Maybe I should chekc into going back to the costwolds after bath, with my friend. It sounds so wonderful. You made Bath sound so great before, now the Cotswolds sound even better.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

No.... I say, see one or two places for a taste of the Cotswolds, one town and a couple of villages .... spend two days in Bath and take an extra day to visit Wells and Glastonbury. There are many villages in the Cotswolds, and you only need a taste of the area this first time... You'll be back again, no doubt, then you can see more of everything.

Whatever you decide, you're sure to have a good time... enjoy !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Please, don't miss Wells - it has the most beautiful Cathedral, inside and outside.... the Bishops Palace has a moat and swans and you can visit inside and see where the Spring is that gave Wells its name. The Vicars Close is really quaint and historic, and originally planned like the Oxford quads... although it's now a close with little front gardens to each 'cell' type house (some now knocked together inside to form bigger houses). You can see - in the marketplace- the window out of which Penn (of Pennsylvania) preached after being arrested - but was released after the Bishop gave him permission.... You can see - in the pavement - a brass plaque with the length of the long jump that got the Olympic Gold Medal for Wells' sportswoman Mary Bignall Rand..... Go to the websites and look at photos... do a search...reputed to be the smallest city in England, and a little gem, honestly.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Sorry - my enthusiasm got the better of me and my words got jumbled ! On certain days / months / (sometimes depends on exhibitions and weddings held there too ) you can visit the rooms inside the Bishops Palace. You can also visit the gardens of the Palace and the spring is in the lake in the garden of the palace, behind the Cathedral. If the bishops' garden is ever closed - you can go into the area called 'Camery' alongside the cathedral (through the cloisters area), walk to the back of those gardens/cemetary and look through the little window in the back wall.... if there's not too much foliage (midsummer) then you can see the little lake and the springs through that little window.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Having said all that.... many tourists 'do' Bath in a day - on a tour or on their own... visiting the Roman Baths Museum (can take two hours - but you can speed through at your own pace), the Assembly Rooms and Costume Museum (another half hour to an hour), an open top bus tour (could be a total of one to two hours) some of these open top bus tours let you hop on and off to visit places en route .... and/or a Mayors voluntary Guides free walking tour (two hours - dep. from the square in front of the Abbey and Roman Baths museum around 10am and 2.pm - you need to check with the VisitBath website).... you could take a picnic and eat it in Victoria Park or in the Riverside Gardens near Pulteney Bridge. Such a brief visit means you can't spend time in the various museums and art galleries... it depends what you like.

But it's a shame not to see the city at night - and visit the Theatre Royal for a performance.

Plan well, ahead of your visit, and study the map of the city so you can get everywhere in logical sequence and save time. Street maps can be found at ' Multimap.com ' It's a small city - the centre is mainly 'one-way' streets, (no car required - also a nightmare to navigate by car in view of certain streets closed to cars and only for buses using 'transponders' whatever they are ! ) and the 'historic centre' is all walkable.

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the weekend more crowded or expensive

Nolana,

My friend who I will be staying with lives inGuildford, surrey. We could not find a single hotel in the Cotswolds to tkae us for one day (she can only stay one day due to all her animals), so we're going to stay the night in Stratford Upon Avon and from there go to the Cotswolds. She wants to show me Bourton on the Water or soemthing like that. Is Wells, close to there? I hope so. She said we only have one day to do the Cotswolds. I'm going to copy your post so I can see if we can see some of the places. We used to have a magazine in the US, "Victoria" and it would always show pictures of the Cotswolds. I can't wait to see them. Someday, hopefully, the dollar will be worth more, and I can go back to England. Since I only have a day, and am coming from stratford Upon Avon, which of the Cotwolds are near there??

Get answers to your questions about Bath