We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

L B
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

Hello,

We are planning another England driving trip for July and are considering spending time in Somerset. After 3 days in Lynton we are driving to Bath and Cotswolds for a repeat visit-- but the more I read about Somerset I'm thinking of adding on some days to this trip. How much time should I add on to visit Cheddar Gorge, Mendips, Wells, Dunster? I'm also noticing some sweet looking villages: Selworthy, Allerford, Winsford, Luccombe, Bossington, Axbridge... Plus there seems to be a number of hill ranges: Quantocks, Blackdown, Brendon, Mendips. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We plan on visiting Bradford on Avon during our time in Bath. Perhaps bycycle there from Bath?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Cheddar
Cheddar
Somerset, UK
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
Axbridge
Axbridge
Somerset, UK
Bradford-on-Avon
Bradford-on-Avon
Wiltshire, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from $126.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,143 Reviews
from $129.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Inner Circle Access of Stonehenge...
866 Reviews
from $190.80*
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,997 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

Well I would of course agree you are making a good choice :-)

Lynton/Lynmouth you can take boat trips, walk to Watersmeet http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/watersmeet/ or take an Exmoor Safari...well worth it. If it rains the unique cinema has the latest films for £5.

The drive over the coastal moor is one of the most beautiful to - Porlock, Porlock Weir, about ½hr unless your stop for local icecream on the moor!

5mins from there is Bossington with the best lunches(under £6) or teas at Kitnors. http://tinyurl.com/axkh6f7

There is also Exmoor Owl & Hawk Centre www.exmoorfalconry.co.uk. Along the lane to Allerford where there is a local museum £1.50 and working village forge with some wonderful stuff in a tiny showroom but they made the gate for Londons Kensington Palace. www.allerfordforge.co.uk It also has a packhorse bridge which is reckoned to be the most photographed bridge out side London.

10mins further is Selworthy, you will want to go there - more good food (that's why we walk so much)

Dunster is 15mins from here or just under an hour from Lynton direct. You would need a day just for that. You'll love it. Again very unusual as a living village with amazing history.

For more detail I did some Travel Articles on just these places tripadvisor.co.uk/members-inside/suebovington

It is worth reading about the area as most of it is one estate with an interesting history. Given to the National Trust. Also National Park - so pretty special, The story of the cottages and Selworthy may surprise you.

Wells is a definite, small, charming with a beautiful & unusual cathedral and surrounds.

Lovely though they are if you are not staying long in the area I would give Luccombe, Horner & Winsford a miss because lovely though they are to visit they are mainly residential or walking bases.

If you are hiring a car get a smallish one - to match the roads!

Edited: 12:20 pm, January 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
London
London
England, UK
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
L B
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

Sue,

thank you so very much for all of your detailed information. That was very kind, and I am researching everything that you posted.

Thanks again!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

I don't come to this forum often but saw a few of my pictures from a couple of years ago as they popped up on my screen saver.

I spent a week in Dunster and completely fell in love with the area. Of course, I was there in October and I imagine crowds will be a much bigger issue in July.

However, from Dunster there are lots of hiking/walking trails (well, I suppose one could say the same thing about most of England) but there are a series through the Cown Estate that are very well marked.

There's an old train from Minehead (makes a stop at Dunster Beach) to Bishops Lydeard which made a fun day. west-somerset-railway.co.uk/article.php/21/d…

I spent one night in Wells and the cathedral is gorgeous -- there are (or were then) tours of it every hour or so and it's definitely worthwhile. The Bishops House was interesting, the gardens more so. The rest of Wells was the typical English small town.

Edited: 5:21 pm, February 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Minehead
Minehead
Somerset, UK
Dunster Beach
Dunster Beach
135 Reviews
Dunster, UK
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

Hi there

Might I just suggest, if time allows, that you make a half day to have a look around Devizes? It's a small, market town with many historic buildings ( 500 blue Heritage plaques at the last count), it sits astride the Kennet & Avon canal, there's a superb museum in Long St, the Wadworth's brewery visitor centre, a fully preserved Elizabethan street at St John's Alley, the Caen Hill Lock Flight, lots of restaurants and cosy pubs, the castle ( which is not unfortunately open to the public) and the Market Place, where you have the Estcourt Fountain and the Market Cross.

Devizes is about a 25 min ride from B-on-Avon.

flickr.com/photos/…

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
The Market Place
The Market Place
517 Reviews
Cowbridge, UK
L B
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

Wow, thank you both so much for the information! I will research all of what's been posted here. Thanks again.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

You're most welcome

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

An earlier post mentioned driving along the coast to Lynton/Lynmouth Having done this trip many times my advice is DONT DRIVE. It is a hellish road in places and you don't see that much from a car especially if you are the driver. There is an open top bus service from Minehead to Lynmouth which must be a serious contender for best bus route in England. Views from the top deck are breathtaking, the bus driver takes the strain - they must have nerves of steel in some places - and the car driver can enjoy the views

Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
Lynmouth
Lynmouth
Exmoor National Park, UK
Minehead
Minehead
Somerset, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

I would suggest that Wells could be combined with Glastonbury/Glastonbury Tor as they are fairly close together. Personally I would spread them over a couple of days, and stay overnight in Wells which has a selection of hotels and restaurants and some good pubs. The catherdral is stunning and you can check their website for concerts and choirs - they do choral evensong so if you stayed overnight you could attend a concert and have an evening meal in the city.

Glastonbury is very different, being a centre of 'alternative' practises like crystal healing and so on. Lots of shops dedicated to witchcraft etc. as well as Christian interests such as Chalice Well and the ruined abbey (well worth a look). From here you can walk up the Tor prviding wonderful views of the Somerset levels.

If you like countryside you can drive through the impressive Cheddar Gorge and there are places to stop and browse, but it's not that exciting unless you want to see the caves. Other caves might be Wookey Hole. If you like alking you can also walk on Burrington Combe not far away by car. If you want to get right on top of the Mendip Hills you could drive through the very small village of Priddy which has 2 good pubs. If you like quite 'fine' dining but want a country pub the Oakhill In in Oakhill is en route to Bath and does very good food.

Mentioned in this post
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
Glastonbury
Glastonbury
Somerset, UK
Glastonbury Tor
Glastonbury Tor
2,195 Reviews
Glastonbury, UK
Cheddar
Cheddar
Somerset, UK
Wookey Hole
Wookey Hole
112 Reviews
Wells, UK
Burrington Combe
Burrington Combe
47 Reviews
Cheddar, UK
9. Re: Somerset suggestions--Wells, Bradford on Avon, villages...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 19, 2014