We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maps of the area?

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Topic
Maps of the area?

Can anyone recommend good maps of the area and maps of the west country?

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maps of the area?

So, does this mean you're Taunton bound?

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maps of the area?

CA,

My wife got the word Thursday, we are there in september. So so so much to do. The biggest question is where to live. It is daunting, to move to taunton.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maps of the area?

I would love some maps that show postal codes. Better yet some digital maps (esri shapefiles for the geeks out there).

On-line mapping just doesn't cut it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maps of the area?

Well, I would love to be able to say congrats, but I'm too green w/envy to do so! ;-) Best of luck w/everything; I'm sure all will turn out well.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,234 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maps of the area?

Congrats Jack. You'll be drinking pints of scrumpy and ooh-aaring me ducks in no time. (Apologies to the many thousands of people in Taunton to whom this does not apply but you know I love a stereotype!)

You might be surprised that the first site on googling Taunton Tourism Somerset is tripadvisor!! The best maps are provided by The Ordnance Survey. Go to www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk and go from there. Amazon sometimes sell maps as well. Pathfinder is a good name.

Your good lady's employers will doubtless be able to make some suggestions and there are plenty of estate agents who will delighted to offer their "expert" advice!

Good luck and please let us know if we can be of any more help.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maps of the area?

Thank you, Adam. We are getting very excited about the move.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maps of the area?

Good luck Jack!

It's very lovely down there, so much to see you won't want to work!

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maps of the area?

Amusing map quandry. Amazon UK has the OS maps I want but I'm in the US. Amazon US lists the maps as "out of stock".

Also, these OS maps look like (from what I can make out on line) they might the thing, but the prices, especially those at the OS site, seem high. Are the Ordnance Survey maps the best? I still need to investigate the Pathfinder brand Adam mentioned.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maps of the area?

Pathfinder is the Ordnance Survey name for a map at scale 1:25000, 2.5 inches to the mile. These have field walls and hedges marked on them.

Landranger maps are at 1:50000 (1.25 inches to the mile). You get this quality and scale if you surf on Multimap.com, although you can only print a small piece at a time.

www.ebay.co.uk has a Taunton Landranger map from 2001 for auction at ��2.00, you can pay by credit card if you are willing to tangle with paypal. This ends in 28 hours. There is not a huge demand for Landranger maps so you could be lucky. The villages will not have changed, but a lot of houses could have been built in the last 4 years.

As I collect maps, I have a 1920s map of the area for sale, but it won't have much use for your purposes !

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maps of the area?

doh! I was at the OS site and completely missed pathfinder was the OS brand for the 25K series. I had been focusing on the Landranger series on my internet hunting.

Thanks BigDave. The problem seems to be I'm on the wrongside of the pond. The dedicated on-line map sellers I've been to were either UK based; or if US base then a weak selection of European maps.

Even Microsoft is letting me down when trying to buy their European mapping product. Their links pointed to me UK based distributors. I guess they think nobody over here would buy it.