We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

When visiting the UK next year, my father has a great interest to see an old market town with old buildings of the half timbered Tudor style still in tact. He is particularly drawn to Chester but I am wondering which town/city is better for this - Chester or Shrewsbury.

Can somebody please suggest the better of the two or which they prefer & why. Incidentally - we will be closer to Shrewsbury for our day trip.

Thanks,

Katt

Edited: 8:44 pm, October 10, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Definitely Chester. Shrewsbury has its share of half timbered buildings but Chester has the unique Rows,which it is hoped will soon gain World Heritage status.

Edited: 4:24 am, October 11, 2011
2. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, October 11, 2011
Edited: 9:05 am, October 11, 2011
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Got to be Chester. Shrewsbury's key buildings seem more spread out to my aching legs, whereas Chester is all on the flat and all in the centre with interesting buildings at every turn. Sorry Shrewsbury, Chester gets my vote.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,274 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Another one for Chester!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

If you let us know where you are staying we can advise on routes, means of travel to Chester.

London
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Yes, of the two, Chester is the best bet.

Do let us know where you are staying, though. If you are nearer to Shrewsbury, there are many historic and picturesque towns all down the Welsh borders, Ludlow and Leominster for example, which have some wonderful Tudor and mediaeval buildings.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Chester gets my vote! ;-)

Take your father for a pint in the Grade 1 listed half timbered Falcon pub or the half timbered Bear & Billet. Both pubs are on Lower Bridge Street.

Halfway between both of the above pubs is the Brewery Tap - it isn't half timbered but is a 16th century Jacobian house and the Great Hall is now a pub!

Seeing is believing!

Edited: 6:50 am, October 11, 2011
Essex
Level Contributor
27,937 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

Also consider York!

Shropshire
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

It has to be Chester, it is unspoilt and a lovely place visit.

The problem with Shrewsbury is that although there is some tudor architecture, in the 60's & 70's some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to build unsightly concrete buildings in between them which in my opinion has totally ruined the place.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
906 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shrewsbury or Chester for medieval architecutre

I also agree with Chester (and Ludlow), though stop if you can in Ironbridge, another Unesco World Heritage Site near Shrewsbury, and perhaps Much Wenlock.

There is a very convenient Travelodge, with very good prices if you book in advance, situated just south of Shrewsbury, not far from a Sainsbury's supermarket.

Get answers to your questions about Shrewsbury