We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

I've been meaning to do this for a while. Shrewsbury is quite well served with places to eat, with a range of prices and menus types. Here are a few of my favourites, for no particular reason other than we like them. I have no connection to any of these places and they won't know who I am if they see this posting:

Pinetops Cafe

This is one that most visitors won't spot but it has something of a cult status amongst its regulars. It's several miles out of town in the Forestry Commission car park at Haughmond Hill - the location is much nicer than it sounds. It can be reached by following the B5062 towards Newport and turning right just past the ruined Haughmond Abbey after the long straight section. There will probably be signs. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.

The cafe was started a few years ago as a butty van when they spotted a possible market amongsts the walkers, mountain bikers, horse riders and dog walkers who visit the area. After a few weeks when the business looked to be a non-starter trade took off and word got around that you could get a decent bacon butty there. On weekend days there were few periods after opening when they didn't have a queue.

Last year the Commission decided to build a permanent structure and they were forced to compete with bigger and more "professional" concerns but the glowing comments in their visitors book, that was signed by hundreds of regulars must have helped somewhat because they now have a rather nice wooden cabin with a few seats and even a loo.

This is a super place to come on a fine day at any time of year for breakfast, sandwiches or delicious cakes and coffee. There are plentiful picnic tables and the trails are easy to follow and pleasant. some of the trails end up atop the escarpment overlooking the Severn and with extensive views to the west.

Watch out for the Coffee & Walnut Cake. You'll want a take-away!

The Armoury

This might be what is often termed a gastro-pub. Labels aside, they serve some cracking main courses from about £9 to £16 alongside an extensive selection of real ales, wines, whiskeys and more, with well trained and well turned-out staff. There is no music and no gaming machines but it's often busy so the atomsphere tends to be lively.

Situated on Victoria Avenue.just past Welsh Bridge. Booking advisable.

The Boathouse

This is an old Shrewsbury favourite and popular with various sets and age-ranges. It's probably the first drinking experience for lots of students from nearby Shrewsbury School.

Situated at the bottom of Port Hill Rd on New Street it is probably best approached on foot from the Quarry Park and over the Porthill Footbridge that replaced the old ferry from which it derives its name. It occupies a lovely position on the banks of the Severn and its large beer garden fills up quickly on sunny days.

The normal menu is pretty good and a little cheaper than The Armoury but The Boathouse is my recommendation for Sunday lunch, because their carvery is quite excellent. What swings it for me is the quality of their roast potatoes, which are far better than the usual mass-produced carvery roasties, alongside some quality meats and an original approach to some of the veg. If you want an inside seat overlooking the river, get there early (opens 12 midday). Small car park plus nearby on-road parking.

The Boathouse is also one of the best places to watch the Flower Show fireworks.

Cromwells

A long-established wine bar on Dogpole, the standards here seem to have improved of late. Prices are a little higher than The Armoury but in my opinion, justifiably. There is usually something of interest on the small and well-considered menu. Decent beers and wines as well. Nice courtyard garden at the back for warm evenings. You can eat in the bar or you can try the separate restaurant room for a more romantic and intimate experience.

And now a couple of contrasting curry houses ...

Tandoori Cottage

On Monkmoor Rd, a couple of miles out of town, the casual visitor would never find this place. This is a really good traditional curry house - nothing flashy - standard curry fare, bhunas, madrases, dhansaks etc. but the head chef really knows what he's doing - and if you need proof look at the take away trade they do. No licence so grab a few bottles of cider from the Co-op next door. Prawn Pathia remains our favourite dish and the garlic naans are superb.

The Curry House

On Mardol and recently rejuvenated, The Curry House has been taken over by a couple of former staff of the TC above and they've madea good start. In contrast to the TC, here you can find a much more up to date menu with signature dishes and a fair bit of imagination, as well as the standards. We've been impressed by the Assamese Duck amongst other quite unusual dishes. As with the TC, expect a warm welcome from the friendly staff.

That's about it for now - there are other decent places that i haven't mentioned but might get onto soon. A colleague went to Draper's Hall last week and thought it very good. And there's the tratorria on Fish St that has never let us down. Hope this is of use to somebody.

I don't check out the S'bury forum every week, but if you have a message, send me a PM and I'll help if I can.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Glad it was of some use, Tushka. Let us know what you think of "eat up", Chris. As I said, I have to express an interest because my littl'un works there (all 6'4" of him) but it seems like they've been very busy which is a good sign, I guess.

An update on The Boat House - we went for their carvery yesterday and they no longer do it :( It seems that there's been a change at the top and at 13:00 the place was empty. they were offereing a roast (beef only) at £12 a plate, which seems aspirtional at best. There was on couple eating it and it looked ok - but it didn't look like what you'd want to pay £12 for in Shrewsbury. You can get more interesting meals in The Armoury or Cromwells for that money.

The pub itself seemed changed as well, perhaps in part because there were only 9 customers in there, including us, but also possibly because they have created more space, we think by putting in some smaller tables. For such a lovely building in such a fabulous setting it fely oddly sterile and characterless. If the number of customers when we were there (peak lunchtime on a Sunday) was typical then they won't make enough money.

On the plus side, we went for the 2nd time for Sunday lunch at The Loggerheads, a pub that in many ways is more delightful than the Boat House, in particular for the tiny rooms that retain the 18th century floor plan. At £5 per person with a choice of beef or pork for home-cooked roasts this represented much better VFM than our first choice. Popular too.

Finally, any info on The Glutton's Club which has appeared on the site of the old Cafe Frank at the end of Welsh Bridge. I'm told this is only there for the month of December but haven't spoken to anyone who's been there yet.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Had a brill weekend in Shrewsbury had a fab meal in roccos not sure of spelling just across from the bull inn also eat there good honest pub grub

Nr Shrewsbury
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

I also live near Shrewsbury and can recommend the following in my opinion of best order if anyones interested

1. The Golden Cross, exspesive but worth it...

2. Armoury,fish and chips is just awsome

3. The Coach & Horses, great all-rounder and well priced

Hope that helps anyone visiting the area

Edited: 7:48 pm, December 14, 2012
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

I went to the Glutton Club last night. The atmosphere was very freindly and welcoming and they've done it out differently to how Frank was including bricking up the lower room. The menu was very limited to about 5 starters, 4 mains and 4 deserts - not that it was a problem choosing. My starter was £8 so it was on the pricey side. I had a tasty sharing platter for the main but it definately benefits from a side portion of chips and salad as th platter alone was not enough and we are two small females! The final bill was alot more than we imagine but our group had ordered a few bottles of wine. Take a lot of money with you! When I got home, my partner asked if i had gone to a chip shop, as i stank, and i mean absolutley stank of chip fat. The kitchen was open in the room where we were eating (middle room) and the cooking smells got in our hair and clothes. Our eyes were stinging at one point from whatever it was they were frying so we had to open a window! Final thought - disappointing, save your money and go to a chippy, or one of the other restaurants in Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Wow! I thought your review was going to be positive, Loubieux but you've certainly put me off with the comment about the cooking smells. I'm hardly in Shrewsbury until after the New Year so I guess it will have closed when we get back. Thanks for the update.

Which one is the Coach & Horses, Jason? I can't place it immediately.

We ate at one of The Armoury's sister pubs, The Fox, near Newport on Saturday afternoon - had their two course Christmas menu. The starters were excellent and the turkey + all trimmings pretty good too, though I'd have added a few more sprouts and the puree'd stuff (I think either swede or carrot and swede) was a bit too sweet for my tastes. The dark meat from the turkey, though was delicious and they used proper stuffing, not pre-packed stuffing balls.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

glad you had a good weekend, cherub77. Rocco's hasn't had a mention on here before so thanks for adding to the info. I spend a lot of time in Wolverhampton and given that it is much bigger than Shrewsbury, there are far fewer decent places to eat in the centre.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

The food was superb eat there on sat 8th dec the bull inn opp was also good food

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Hello there i just saw your review for the Glutton Club which George Cavendish aged 23 has been running as a Pop Up Restaurant for December. We are so sorry to hear that your clothes came home smelling of chip fat, it has been a fraught experience for the boys working in the very very small kitchen in the premises..... not to mention the dire extraction . We are now taking the restaurant on full time due to popular demand (please see wwwcuriouseats.co.uk). We have decided too , that the kitchen should be enlarged shortly which will hopefully be completed this month so that we dont have a kitchen bellowing out fumes from the inefficient extractor fan!!!! We do hope you will come again in the future , George will be adding to the menu too, for example we are adding Fondue nights, and also more small eats for the theatre menu. We are also putting together a Glutton Club website shortly so that it is alot more organised. Please will you try us again when next you are in town hopefully you wont be so disappointed, we look forward to seeing you, please also let us know who you are so we can give you a free glass of wine.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Nice to see a reply from one of the people with a personal interest and good that the comments have been taken seriously. Let's hope that The Glutton Club becomes a valued addition to a range of places to eat which is perhaps surprising for a small town.

Please post a link to the website when it's up, sarah.

We were at Eat Up again on Saturday and had another splendid meal, with Julie trying the turbot whilst I had the chicken. We finished off with a nicely balanced cheesboard which included Shropshire blue and an excellent smoked Cheshire.

Ranfurly, New...
Level Contributor
264 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Some places to eat in Shrewsbury

Hi, hope I'm not too late to ask this question but where can I park to eat at Eat Up? Maps not too clear.Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Shrewsbury