We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Date in Ironbridge

West Midlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Date in Ironbridge

Hi everyone,

I'm going on a 5th date with a guy soon, and it's my turn to organise something! Everything that he's organised has been really good so I have some competition!

I'd like to go to Ironbridge, but because I've not been for a while I'm not really sure what we can do.

I've read that a picnic in Dale End Park would be nice - I think this would get me a few brownie points as shows I've put some effort in. But obviously if the British weather takes a turn for the worse, that plan would be out the window!

There's not really a budget as such so any ideas welcome.

I'm not really into museums - which I know is the main thing to do in Ironbridge so sorry to rule that out. We are 21 and 26...not sure if that makes a difference but just trying to give as much information as possible.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions in that sort of area that would be good. I've heard Bridgnorth is nice (again, I have been but not for a few years). I'm also willing to go more than one place during the day if we wouldn't be able to find enough to do just in Ironbridge.

Thanks for any help/advice/ideas.

Lozzie x

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Date in Ironbridge

I think you might find more things to do in Bridgnorth if museums aren't your thing. Its a bigger town, you have the railway which takes you between high and low town. There is the Severn Valley Railway as well. Ruins of castle and garden. And places you could visit nearby. Look on Bridgnorthguide web site has local attractions.

Hope this is helpful and have a good day.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Date in Ironbridge

You could start the day in Shrewsbury (another 20 minutes further on from Ironbridge) - Castle, Cathedral, Park, River side walk - then head to Ironbridge along the back road (via Wroxeter) for a picnic lunch either in Dale End Park or sitting on the other side of the river looking across at Ironbridge. You could take a boat trip up and down the river, going under the bridge, before heading for an afternoon / evening in Bridgnorth.

Alternatively you could go for a walk up the Wrekin (strenuous but great views) or head to Telford Town Park - lots of greenery and water.

Also, don't rule out a visit to Blists Hill Victorian Town - it's like going back in time rather than visiting a traditional museum. You have to change your money when you go in and then you end up in a "town" with lots of actors playing the parts of Victorian towns people. We went a couple of years ago and ended up singing in a Victorian wedding in the church (long story ... but funny in the end.) followed by a pint in the old pub and a few turns on the Victorian fair ground rides.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Date in Ironbridge

Thanks guys, some great ideas. I'll look into them.

Cheers,

Lozzie x

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Date in Ironbridge

Depends if he, you are interested in airplanes. Not far away in Cosford is the RAF museum.

5. Re: Date in Ironbridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, December 19, 2010
6. Re: Date in Ironbridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2011