We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Tallahassee, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

I will be traveling to Sheffield next year from Florida. I will be taking a flight (obviously), but where to fly into? Any suggestions or information on the cost of transportation from certain local airports (i.e. Robin Hood Airport in Doncaster) into Sheffield? I appreciate any advice you can give me. :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Just to add, if you didn't know ,that Virgin Atlantic fly direct from Orlando to Manchester at least once a day.

Edited: 9:24 am, September 10, 2012
East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Just to bolster the Birmingham option if you should consider it worthy (perhaps a flight here might be cheaper than Manchester, unlikely, but you never know) ...

The journey takes approx 1hr 40m and always needs one change of train (i.e. there are no direct services to Sheffield). Advance tickets can currently be had for as little as £11.50 one way.

Tallahassee, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Thanks for the tidbit about Orlando. I actually live about four hours farther north, so I'm looking at flights direct from my hometown, through Atlanta, and on to the UK.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
514 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Manchester is by Far the Best Airport for Sheffield. The Train Journey for the views of the Countryside, to Sheffield is Good Too..

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Hi

Whilst I agree the Manchester-Sheffield rail link is excellent, just to give another option...

If you fly into Robin Hood, which is a petit and bijou little airport, you can get a cab for around £40 to Sheffield - http://www.taxidoncaster.co.uk/. The train fare from Manchester to Sheffield will be anything from £15 to £30 per person depending on whether you book in advance.

When you factor in transport costs from Sheffield station to wherever you want to go a cab could be the most cost effective (and least stressful) option.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Flying to Manchester is the easiest option ,I have done the trip in reverse several times as my son lives in Fort Lauderdale.I have tried flying from Heathrow and it can be time consuming getting to and from the airport from Sheffield .I flew from Heathrow earlier on this year to Atlanta then on to Jacksonville from the time i departed Sheffield to my arrival in Jacksonville i had been travelling over 28 hrs.

Tallahassee, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Thank you all! Seems like Manchester is the place.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

Hi,

As a Sheffield resident I would say that Doncaster would be great but you won't be able to get a flight into Doncaster. East Midlands would be the next closest but again I would be surprised if you could get a flight. After that Manchester would be your best bet, it's about an hour and a half to two hours by car and there are regular trains to Sheffield.

That being said the London airports (Heathrow, Luton, Gatwick and Stanstead) aren't too far away. The longest by car would be about 4 hours and to an American that is probably not a very long journey!

Basically don't worry where you fly into, I would just go for the one that worked out cheapest.

19. Re: Traveling to Sheffield area from the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 03, 2013