We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train London to Sheffield & Return

Which Sheffield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train London to Sheffield & Return

I"m writing on behalf of my sister and brother-in-law who have been quoted a ticket from London to Sheffield via train by a travel agent in Australia as being 300 pounds each person each way!!! I find this very hard to believe! Can anyone help with train companies we should look at? Is their one company that runs all trains? I'm assuming this would be a busy route with trains leaving every day and quite often - they will be staying in central London (not booked yet - any suggestions close to whichever station the train leaves from would be greatly appreciated). Thanks in anticipation.

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

The UK train system is fairly complicated in terms of buying tickets but i did a quick search on www.thetrainline.com and it brought up tickets for less than 30 pounds return, based on 2 single tickets (a month in advance). Often tickets bought in advance are far cheaper (but not too far in advance as they don't release the cheap tickets til later). There are several websites that cover all trains and you should be able to work something out - I am not sure how you go on buying tickets from overseas..... but 600 pounds per person return is absolutely ridiculous.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

I would go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk and check out the services and prices for their day(s) of travel. I just did a quick search for a random day and time (August 26, 9.00am) and the fares showing are from 16.00 pounds single. That's way better than the 300.00 quoted by the agent. You can usually book advance rates online and collect the tickets at the station.

Direct services from St, Pancras to Sheffield are operated by East Midlands Trains (http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk), so you (they) can look for best times/prices there too.

Edited: 1:23 am, August 16, 2010
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

Cheap train tickets become available UP TO 12 weeks in advance. They generally tie you to travel on specific trains. You can use any of the train operating companies to book the tickets but in the past the following have had success for holders of non-UK cards without having to pay any booking fee or charge for CC use

eastcoast.co.uk

crosscountry.co.uk

firstscotrail.com

Don't use thetrainline as they charge for the booking itself and the use of CCs

But even if you wanted to travel within the next 10 minutes I can see prices of £92 and the only way you can get anything near £300 is to buy a fully refundable fully changeable first class fare - but that's only £271 and you can get 1st class tickets with the same lack of restrictions for half that price

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

For Sheffield you also have the megatrain option

http://uk.megabus.com/Default.aspx

On a random day in about a month there are tickets at £5 single a head .

It's not a separate train - just an alternative way of booking an East Midlands train

The Australian travel agent either doesn't know what he is doing - or worse, does.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

As per dzug, I suggest your relatives find a different travel agent immediately. How much are they charging for flights !?

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

The most expensive fare for this journey is a First Class Anytime fare which is GBP135 each way. Who knows where GBP300 came from....

If they are prepared to book in advance, and be tied to one specific train time, then Advance fares can be bought for a few tens of pounds for Standard Class. If they don't want to be restricted to one specific service, then you can also buy tickets that allow you to simply turn up at the station and get on whichever train you choose - either literally Anytime (including peak hours) or (for less cost) Off-Peak, which will have a time restriction to exclude the busiest services on weekdays but otherwise can be used on any train.

During weekday daytimes, direct services from London to Sheffield are 2x per hour. They are all operated out of St Pancras station by East Midlands Trains.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I have got on the East Midland site and found 2 tickets on the days they want on a direct train at great times for 76 pounds return for the 2 of them!! She nearly died when I told her the price so she is coming over to see me and we are going to book other things for their trip as well directly online. Couldn't agree more about the travel agent (I actually think most of them are dodgy) - this was one in a country town - obviously taking advantage of someone who had no idea!!! I recently did a USA trip with my family of 4 and booked the entire trip via the internet (thank god for Trip Advisor) without one problem the whole time! Thanks again!

8. Re: Train London to Sheffield & Return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 13, 2011