We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Which Reading hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pa
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Traveling from USA in June/July to watch our son compete at the Henley Regatta. Would appreciate any feedback on where to stay. Initially we thought to stay in Reading the first week and the town of Henley the week of full competition but seems all lodging is booked (we require 3 rooms). Is it smarter to stay in Reading or Marlowe for easiest transport to the venue? Looking at Forsbury (no a/c or outside sitting area) or the Holiday Inn in Reading and the Crowne Plaza in Marlowe. Suggestions welcome.

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Thank you for the assorted responses. After spending additional time in research I may try to accommodate the best of both. Initially stay in Reading and then transfer to rental unit in Marlow or Maidenhead. If I were to rate the train (to and from Henley July 2-6) am I correct in thinking Maidenhead is the easiest, followed by Reading and then Marlow? Is Reading an hour by train to Henley?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Yes, yes yes and yes in that order.

If you do that you might find it a good change to stay in Marlow for the second week,,otherwise you are just moving from one large city centre to another and there doesn't seem much point.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

There is a regular bus service from Marlow to Henley, it takes around 25 minutes. I would steer well clear of Reading which is a busy commercial centre and not really a very pleasant place for a break. Marlow, however is delightful, civilised, has lots of great restaurants and pubs. You can even take a Thames passenger steamer to Henley.

There is an excellent Premier Inn in a Marlow as well as the Crowne Plaza (a bit out of town) and some really great B&Bs.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,102 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

crazypom, you are not wrong:) Happy New Year.

pa
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Thank you for the feedback. I have it narrowed down to a few days in Marlow (not sure where yet - will try for Premier Inn )before the main festivities in Henley and a small but closer inn called the The White Hart in Nettlebed during Henley main events.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,102 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Looks charming, I might check it out over the weekend

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,102 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Just popped in today, and was very impressed..the White Hart is fabulous, might even do a review:)

pa
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Thank you! We will begin our stay in London and end it at The White Hart for the main Henley Regatta festivities.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

I live in the area and would suggest Twyford for easiest access to Henley (10 minute train). Not sure on hotel availability though.

Reading is a nice small city, lots to do. Train to Henley would be 25 minutes.

Marlow is basically similar to Henley, but getting there every day without car would involve expensive taxi or over hour train ( 2 changes).

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Reading or Marlowe for 10 days?

Why take the train when there is an excellent bus service (around 20 mins). I like Twyford, but it's not a place to recommend for a stay.