We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in town

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time in town

Hi,

probably I'll be in Reading in December for 4 days. I know the town from a long time but this is my first visit.

I decided to book a room here because in london I didn't found an good accomodation (for my budget).

I think I will spend 1 or 2 days in Lndon, having

to meet friends and so on... but I also wish to visit and enjoy Reading, without foget shopping!!!

thanks for tipps!!!

Reading Museum
Specialty Museums, Art Galleries, History Museums
The Oracle
Gift & Specialty Shops
The Grumpy Goat
Gift & Specialty Shops
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time in town

also in london I have to take the tube....

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time in town

It's some time since I've stayed in Reading, but when I was there I found hotels during the working to be *more* expensive than equivalent hotels in London, not cheaper, because of the number of business visitors.

Apologies about the Waterloo fare - I'd not checked, and hadn't realised that the £15 was already discounted.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time in town

Have you looked at hostels if your budget doesn't reach to a £60 London hotel including breakfast as posted earlier?

However, I don't know how you can afford to shop if a £15 train fare is too high.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time in town

Hi,

I prefer avoid share bathroom. I need ensuite.

You say thet in Waterloo I could find a good hotel low budget??

I'll be happy to stay colse to Waterloo!!!if you can suggest me some hotels...

many thnaks

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time in town

<<I prefer avoid share bathroom. I need ensuite.>>

I "need" a suite at the Ritz, but my budget doesn't allow that either :-)

Leaving it late to book, and your budget, may not allow what you want, but soemone did post a hotel for about £60 with breakfast included, in London, in an earlier thread. You'd have done better just booking that unless the reviews are truly awful.

<<You say that in Waterloo I could find a good hotel low budget??>>

I didn't say that , and don't see anyone else who did. A previous post has a link to budget hotels in London.

<<I'll be happy to stay close to Waterloo!!!if you can suggest me some hotels...>>

Ask on the London forum please, don't forget this is the Reading forum.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,236 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time in town

You say in your original post that you plan to go to London for 2 days. So you will need to take the tube. The question is, do you plan on adding a train fare from Reading, or staying in London?

I have already provided one hotel name in London that fits your budget--see post three. It is near the Russell Square underground, which is three stops from Oxford Circus (shopping).

If that hotel doesn't appeal to you, the budget hotel list I have provided in post 10 organizes the hotels by area.

I wish you luck, but I admit that I do not quite understand whether you are coming to 1) stay in London and shop, 2) stay in Reading and shop 3) see friends, somewhere.

In any case, trains cost money, and I am trying to save you some, by finding you lodgings near where I think you want to be. The Oracle certainly has shopping, but I am not sure anyone would travel to the U.K. just to see it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First time in town

The Oracle certainly has shopping, but I am not sure anyone would travel to the U.K. just to see it.

===========

And not exactly in a price range for someone who thinks a £15 train fare is too expensive and contemplates getting a bus to save £2 or £3 either..

18. Re: First time in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Reading