We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
2 posts
Save Topic
Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

We've tried the obvious (Maldives) but can't get anything for our budget of £2k per person inc flights. Surely there is somewhere on this planet where we could get a bit of barefoot luxury and glorious secluded beach for £4k...have looked up lots of Thai hotels on this website, as well as Turks & Caicos but it seems that anywhere great is way over our budget and the more reasonable hotels all have lots of complaints posted about them.

The travel agents aren't proving very helpful either.

It will probably be my last holiday with my partner before we have a family so we'd like some peace & quiet and seclusion!

Would really appreciate any first-hand advice....

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

I'm a sucker for Hawaii and also the Gulf Coast in Florida (Sansibel Island and that area). Warm sea and white sands. Lovely.

Umm, the London mods might not agree with us that this discussion comes under London, so you might also care to post this on the off-topic forums. I'm trying to think which one would fit best for you, but can't think, off the top of my head. But have a look, and see what you think.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

If you don't mind helping to save the planet and stop low-lying islands being swamped, you could try the Scilly Isles or the Outer Hebrides.

The £2k you save on airfares could be used to buy some warm clothes.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

you could even stay on the mainland and try laxford bridge or scourie, north of ullapool. The also have the worlds most northerly palm tree I seem to remeber.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

alternatively, try barbuda. the beach at the k club is fab, thats where diana used to go for her hols

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

Barely relevant to a UK forum, although I suspect that you could argue that as Jenny is leaving the UK, there's a concentration of people here who might have an idea ...

For £4k for two of us, we expect to manage

Flights to Jo'burg

Connections to Cape Town

2 nights in Boulders Beach Lodge (stunning white sands, several deserted beaches in the vicinity)

1 night in Hermanus Guest House (5*) - lots of beaches nearby

6 nights in an apartment in Cape Town (no shortage of beaches)

Flights to Jo'burg or Nelspruit

4 nights in the Kruger National Park (rest camps)

3 nights in hotels in the Escarpment area of Drakensberg - West Lodge in Graskop has taken our fancy but still to be decided.

Reasonable sized hire cars for the whole period

and we will probably manage a side trip to Namiba for a couple of nights and still stay within budget.

You could easily ditch most of that and try one or more of the beach towns on the Indian Ocean north east of Durban, e.g St. Lucia and not spend that much money and you have the option of doing something interesting as well.

Otherwise, I'd echo peterscot's suggestion. some of the very best beaches in the world can be found in north west Scotland - Sango Bay near Durness is one of my particular favourites. If you don't believe that there can be glorious seclusion there, try this link

avengerpenguins.co.uk/v-web/…H4SangoBay1

or this

avengerpenguins.co.uk/v-web/…H6Balnakeil1

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

Coincidentally I was looking at hayes and jarvis last night, there was a 14 day AI in the maldives for a touch over £2k each, the hotel (cant recall which one) had v good reviews. Its on their first page or two so should be easy to find.

Horsham,UK
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

Have a look at Mercury Direct, wa went to Australia with them and they were really good. They do Mauritius, Sri Lanka as well as Australia. Last year they had A/I in Maritius for £1400 and B&B in Perth for up to £1800. These prices are the top charge.

We went to Gold Coast, near Brisbane and it was fantastic!

Highly recommended.

australia
Level Contributor
555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

Hi,

If possible, reconsider Thailand especially the island of Phuket where you should stay North at Bang Tao Bay. Beautiful resorts and beaches. Reasonable prices for hotels through Precision Reservations online. Also, Krabi on the mainland of Thailand is a great place with easy access to many beautiful islands. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

For a real travel poster beach try Broome on the Indian Ocean side of Australia. I can't tell you about hotels there, as I stayed in a backpackers, but the view and the beach are fabulous.

Lincoln
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I go for white sand & turquoise seas?

You clearly need to talk to a good travel advisor.

There are many good ones, but we have always used Gill Walker, she has 30 years experience and a young head on her shoulders. There isn't much Gill doesn't know about world-wide travel and her products are very competitive. I'm astounded you can't do Maldives for £2k per person. We've been for a lot less with Gill.

Look her up.

The link will probably go because of posting regs.

but do a Google for Gill Walker holidays, on HolidayHoliday, or visit one of her webs.

http://www.maldives-caribbean-cyprus.co.uk

Good luck