We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Spain
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Hello,

We are from Spain and will be in Cotswolds one week next June. One day of our holidays we want to visit Oxford in a day-trip. We haven´t been before in Oxford and have seen recommendations in Tourism website, specially one-day sightseeing itinerary, so we´re looking for colleges, walks, museums, and enjoy the city. We have a car (rental) and our intention is drop off in a park and ride.

We would like you to advice us about the following:

- Is it better visit on week-day or weekend (and in this case, better Sat than Sunday)? Pros and cons of two alternatives? When is the city much quieter and less touristy? Is there attraction closed on weekend and not other days?

- Which is the best option for park and ride from Chipping Camden? I guess Peer Tree or Water Eaton.

- What day and time do you recommend us to make the visit to avoid rush traffic hour?

Any other advice you give us will be apreciated.

Thanks in advance and excuse for my bad English, I do better in Spanish 

Gracias.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Oxford is the busy commercial, leisure and cultural centre of one of Britain's most prosperous regions, with an extraordinarily high proportion of its city-centre population aged between 18 and 22. There's practically no time of any day between 0800 and 2200 when it's not busy. Except in a tiny number of locations, the people who make it busy aren't tourists.

By the standards of most highly-visited towns, Oxford doesn't get "touristy".

Except at Christ Church (where the dining hall and cathedral are closed to visitors on Sundays till 1430,), there is hardly any difference from day to day between attractions' opening hours, though one or two open an hour or so later on Sundays.

The ordinary drive from Chipping Campden takes you into Peartree car park, which hardly ever gets full . There's no reason to go to any other carpark. Mon-Fri rush hour into Peartree from the A44 can cause 5-10 min delays between 0730 to 0900: buses from Peartree into town are usually less subject to rush hour problems.

Delaying your arrival till mid-morning merely gives you less time in Oxford. I

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Christ Church
Christ Church
1,978 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

The Ashmolean is closed on Mondays. See www.ashmolean.org/ for information about the collections and current exhibitions.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

I would aim to arrive after 9am once everyone has gone to work on a week day. No point in sitting on a park and ride bus in bumper to bumper traffic when leaving it just a little later will mean a smoother ride.

Spain
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Thanks for the reply ! We will not be before 9am (we have an hour from our home holidays)

One last question: when we trace the route in theaa route planneer and google maps, we are sendend through A44 (Chipping Norton), but tomtom send us to A40 (A424 then A429). Which is the best option do yo recommend us?

Thanks again. Gracias.

Mentioned in this post
Chipping Norton
Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Hola! (Your English is far more extensive than my Spanish!)

I'd take the A44 route to get here for a day trip. The alternative listed is pretty but slower and you will no doubt explore those parts of the Cotswolds at some other stage in your holiday.

If you can get online from your holiday home it would be worth checking the BBC travel news for Oxford as that will indicate any significant delays post rush hour.

The bus from Pear Tree stops opposite the Ashmolean which is a good place to alight. Even if you don't want the Ashmolean, it's close to the Martyrs' Memorial and Broad Street, with several colleges close by. Download a street map of Oxford and see where things are and plot a route to walk to take in as many of the sights as you fancy. Oxford is a small city and you can easily walk from place to place.

Enjoy planning your trip.

Angie

Edited: 9:52 am, April 19, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

To echo flanneruk's comments do not expect a quiet country town with just a few groups of tourists. I've just cycled into the city centre and back and it was extremely crowded (think Oxford Street London for a comparison). That being said large queues outside major tourist attractions are very unusual.

By the way the rush hour tends to be 7.30am to 9.15 am and 4.30pm to 6pm - and although buses can avoid a lot of traffic jams they will be more crowded at these times.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Hi,

We visited a few weeks ago and used the map / route from the link below. Basically shows you many of the interesting sights. If you get time, go for a punt on the River Cherwell. I'd recommend a visit to the Sheldonian Theatre and the Bodleian as musts and also a stroll around the Parks. Take a trip around one or two of the colleges as well. Some don't charge, others may charge 2 or 3 pounds for entrance.

www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php…

Edited: 2:46 pm, April 19, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Cherwell Guest House
Cherwell Guest House
144 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Sheldonian Theatre
Sheldonian Theatre
429 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Spain
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Thanks for all your replies !

I think that I will choose two or three between Magdalen, New College, Merton, All Souls and Christ Church. Sure I will climb St. Mary´s church (if the weather is fine) and I prefer enjoy the atmosphere of the collegues that being visiting a crowded college. Of course, it depends of the opening hours.

Only one last question: is there restrictions on the colleges for taking potos inside? I like photography and it would be a pity if once I¨ll be there I couldn´t.

Thanks again and forgive my English, I do better in Spanish ;-)

Mentioned in this post
New College
New College
258 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Christ Church
Christ Church
1,978 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

Don't think there are any restrictions on photos. There are restrictions on where you can go, as some sections are understandably off limits to the public but we took photos in both Wadham College and Merton College and there were no problems.

Mentioned in this post
Wadham College
Wadham College
97 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Merton College
Merton College
136 Reviews
Oxford, UK
10. Re: One day in Oxford. Help and advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 22, 2015