We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch at Trout Inn or Cherwell Boathouse???

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch at Trout Inn or Cherwell Boathouse???

I alluded to a dilemma that I'm facing in a previous posting. The Cherwell Boathouse looks like a lovely place for a couple to enjoy lunch on a sunny (?) Saturday in July. The Trout Inn looks equally lovely--perhaps even lovelier in terms of physical beauty. It would be my hope to walk from either the Randolph or the Royal Oxford on the way back. Being closer, we could probably afford the time to walk both ways (leaving from Keble College Chapel/returning to our hotel) if we decide upon the Cherwell Boathouse. The reviews of the Cherwell Boathouse on TA appear to be more favourable. There are several scenic walking options for the return journey to Oxford from The Trout. I think the walk to and from the Cherwell Boathouse would skirt some of the college campuses. Can anyone help me with this decision? Is one restaurant likely to be more crowded than the other on a Saturday?

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch at Trout Inn or Cherwell Boathouse???

Correction to error made in question:

It would be my hope to walk TO either the Randolph or the Royal Oxford on the way back.

Oxford
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch at Trout Inn or Cherwell Boathouse???

In my opinion the Cherwell Boathouse is the only way to go: it is fine dining as opposed to "pub food". The Trout is a pretty pub, and used to be my local, but the "Morse" connection saw it expanded massively about 10 years ago, and during the summer it is uncomfortably busy: positively heaving in fact. Tables are hard to get, and the food is not really all that great: they are catering for hundreds and hundreds at any one time. The Cherwell Boathouse on the other hand is refined; pre-booked tables (essential) and the food is suburb. I'd eat there all the time, but could never afford it. The walk back form the Trout along the Thames through Port Meadow towards Oxford is undeniably pretty, and probably prettier than the direct 'road route' from the Cherwell Boathouse, but why not arrange to have a Chauffeur Punt to take you from the Boathouse back along the River Cherwell (who'd have though it) into the City, probably as far as Magdalen College and a short stagger back to your hotel?

Felicity X

Go to the Cherwell Boathouse: it is an altogether better experience.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch at Trout Inn or Cherwell Boathouse???

Thank-you, Felicity, for your very helpful advice. Based on the recommendations that we have received, we will stick with our original plan which is to dine at the Cherwell Boathouse rather than the Trout. We actually have a chauffered punt booked into our itinerary on a different day. We plan to board from and return to Magdalen College and will travel along the Botanic Gardens and Christ Church Meadow. We have, in fact, received a menu from Boat Hire at the Magdalen Bridge. The local knowledge that we continue to receive from Oxford residents is highly valued.

4. Re: Lunch at Trout Inn or Cherwell Boathouse???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 26, 2015