We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge to the ocean

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Stonehenge to the ocean

We are going to be visiting England this spring and already plan to visit Stonehenge. On the map, it appears to be fairly close to the coast. (We're from Ohio, so this is all relative to us! LOL!) Does anyone have a recommendation on someplace that would be an easy drive to take our kids to see the ocean? A beach would be great, but as this will be early April, we won't be doing any swimming, so a cool coastal town where they can get a sense of the ocean is really what I'm after. We are thinking about going to Seven Sisters to see the white cliffs (on another day), but I'm not sure we'll be up for the long drive there. I'd hate to spend nearly 2 weeks in an island country and not see the ocean!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Hate to be rude but what or where does your map show? I'd go south.

As for the Seven Sisters - try a trip to (preferably all three) Brighton, Lewes and Hastings. I or Plymouth Mikey can fill in the details.

Places in England are, I think, no more than 60 miles from the sea.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Bournemouth would probably be the closest, but it would probably depend on where you needed to get to that evening.

P-t-B

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

For a better answer we need to know your destination on that day; will you be staying at the coastal town? and where is your next intended destination.

It's about 65 miles, (1hr 45m about) to Portland, wonderful views east and west of the coast and also some historical sites in the area. Weymouth is worth a visit too; thousands of US troops left Weymouth to land on the beaches of Normandy.

40 miles, (about 1hr 15m) will take you to Lymington, through the New Forest; Bucklers Hard is about 10 miles to the east. Be advised most of the driving will be on minor roads.

Edited: 4:51 pm, January 20, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Thanks! We are staying north east of Stonehenge, in a little village called Henley-on-Thames. We will be going from there to Stonehenge then either to the coast and/ or to Bath, and circling back up. We are trying to balance seeing as much as possible without turning our children in to cranky monsters! :-)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

If you got to Stonehenge fairly early in the day you could drive on down to Bournemouth (large seaside resort with lots to see) and then drive back to Henley (a good 2 or more hours drive).

However, probably at least 5 -6 hours driving in total for the day - not something I would subject anyone to!

By the way - Henley on Thames is not a small village!

You need to get a good map book I think!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Yes I'd also vote for Bournemouth - and you might just do it in under two hours from Henley (it's 85 miles) and on the way back you may think it worth stopping at Winchester.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Lol! Well, it seemed to be outside the London loop anyway! I've done most of my distance figuring via Google maps. Part of why I asked for advice it that it is a little difficult to tell scale as far as town size. I can figure out distances and approx. drive time, but its a little hard to tell what I'm getting to! ;-)

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Lol! Well, it seemed to be outside the London loop anyway! I've done most of my distance figuring via Google maps. Part of why I asked for advice it that it is a little difficult to tell scale as far as town size. I can figure out distances and approx. drive time, but its a little hard to tell what I'm getting to! ;-)

Edited: 5:45 pm, January 20, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

We are staying north east of Stonehenge, in a little village called Henley-on-Thames. We will be going from there to Stonehenge then either to the coast and/ or to Bath, and circling back up.

========

Thats a pretty long journey for this country and our roads and none of them, in terms a Brit would recognize are "close". I appreciate where you are coming from but that doenst alter the reality of the fact its a lot of driving.

Do you have to go back to Henley? When you total up driving time plus time spent at destinations, neither Bath nor the coast work well.

Even if you've paid for say a week in Henley Upon Thames and so think you must get back there at the end of the day, if I was visiting either of these destinations (coast or Bath) , I think you'd get your moneys worth by staying somewhere near the coast or Bath at the end of that day

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stonehenge to the ocean

Sorry- I accidentally posted that twice and now I can't get rid of it. I'll look into Bournemouth.