We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Monica...
8 posts
Save Topic
Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Hello,

In two weeks, I will be traveling to the Cottswolds without a car. I need advice to determine how close I need to be to Heathrow to make my return flight home. I will stay 3 nights in Chipping Campden in the Cottswolds. I thought it would be safest to to travel to Oxford on the 4th day to be closer to Heathrow for my flight on the 5th day at 2:55pm. I am having difficulty determining distances and travel time between points. Could I make a 2:55pm flight if I travel directly from Chipping Campden to Heathrow? Any other suggestions for a place to stay on the day before a flight? I am interested in seeing Oxford, but open to other ideas. I am a bit concerned about missing an international flight, so I am being cautious. Hotel suggestions would be appreciated also.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,102 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Well, Georgey can leave Moreton earlier, at 9.50, arrive at Heathrow at 12.05...or even earlier, at 9.23....if he/she prefers to stay in the Cotswolds another day.

Find the connections...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,795 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Again, just speaking for myself, I have flown to California from the UK, and it is a very long day--ten hours in the air at least, with a non stop flight. And that's not factoring in the hours needed at the airport both before and after the flight, and transit home.

I would not want to add hours of extra travel to the beginning of such a day.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

Just from a touristic point of view i think you would be daft to miss out on Oxford.

Chipping campden is a lovely town and probably as typical of a Cotswold market town as you can get, but what you are going to do there for 3 nights I don't know. Why not hop on the train to Oxford for your last day and see that too as has been said there is an excellent bus connection to Heathrow. it's not faffing around it's a chance to fit in something else worthwhile for little effort.

No need to reserve the train or bus

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

I agree with chappers it would be great for you to see Oxford and then catch the airline bus directly to Heathrow. Or as Laura says to go to Windsor and have a short journey. Unless of course you find it easier to stay in Chipping Campden for an extra day you could fit in another place and make your travelling time shorter.

15. Re: Oxford or other choices for easy access to Heathrow airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 22, 2014